Need concrete info or at least *educated* guesses!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 03:52 AM
Default Need concrete info or at least *educated* guesses!

I've liked the Camaro concept since I first saw it... but after seeing Transformers, I've become obsessed. I was about to purchase a new vehicle, but I'm very seriously considering waiting a year and purchasing this car. I do, however, have a few questions. The answers to these questions will aid me in making the right decision about a very important purchase as I'd like my next car to be one that I will love for several years (hence eliminating the need to upgrade in a few years). Any educated answers, fact or speculation, would be much appreciated.

*When is this car slated to be released?
*How much of the concept car will realistically make it to production (ie 20" wheels in front, 21" wheels in back, styling cues, engine, transmission, etc.)?
*Will there be an SS model available right away?
*Will there be a convertible available right away?
*If the answers to the above two questions is yes... will there be a convertible SS version available right away?
*I realize this has been asked in another post, but... what would be a reasonable price to expect for the different trim levels? My assumption that an SS convertible (likely the most expensive model) would HAVE to undercut a base Corvette convertible by quite a bit... or they'd end up cannibalizing the sale of their own product, right?
*I know this is nitpicking, but... I'm a sucker for HID headlights. My opinion is that the yellowish halogen lights make a nice car look crappy. What are the chances of HIDs being available on this vehicle?

From my limited research, I wasn't able to find many concrete answers to these questions. If you know any/all of the answers... thanks in advance.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Default RE: Need concrete info or at least *educated* guesses!

When I first saw the camaro I was like its alright, but now I'm the same as you, totally obsessed. I'll tell you what I know or am 95% positive. It will probably be released late 08. No way the wheels are going to make it probably 18fr 19ba. Now I've heard some reporters who have claimed to have seen the production model and they said you can't tell the difference between concept and prod., on the outside. Since they discontinued the ls2 that means ls3 with 420-430hp, I seriously don't think they will detune it because of the corvette. It will have the love of my life 6sp trans. A video I saw said that chevy already has several special editions there working on including the one I want the ls7, plus saleen himself said he's working on models of the camaro. No way the SS or convt. will be at launch, expect them about 6-8 mos after launch. I don't know about price but I have heard someone at chevy say they aren't worried about the camaro and vette clashing at price or performance because the corvette is in a different league than the camaro. I wish they would put the HID in it but I heard there not. What I'm wondering if the ls7 and saleen are coming out, if saleen supercharged the ls3 it would be more than 505hp so whats the point of the ls7. These special editions probably won't come out till 2010, which sucks cause I'm def. gettin one of them. Oh well its not like I'm sufferin I'll just have to keep cruisin my 00 camaro SS convt until then.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:19 PM

I'm as obsessed just the same!
Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
I will be updating this as new information becomes availble.

FACTS ABOUT THE NEW CAMARO:[ul][*]Camaro will be built at Oshawa Assembly.[*]Camaro Coupe production begins around September 2008.[*]Camaro Convertible production begins around July 2009.[*]Camaro will be built on the Zeta chassis, a global RWD architecture.[*]Camaro will have IRS, because that's the only rear end that Zeta is engineered for.[*]Camaro's IRS will be very similar to the one found in the 2008 Pontiac G8.[*]Camaro will be priced competitively with equivalent-level Mustangs.[*]Camaro will be offered with 6-speed transmissions, manual and automatic.[*]Camaro WILL NOT be offered with an LS2 or an LS7 engine, because their life cycles for production cars come to a close before Camaro production begins.[/ul]
FACTS ABOUT THE CAMARO CONCEPT CARS:[ul][*]The Concept Cars are speed-limited to 40mph.[*]The Concept Cars are rev-limited to 3000rpm.[*]The Convertible Concept has functioning insturment panel gauges, but does not have a top.[*]The Concept Cars are NOT on a production chassis.[*]There are 4 concept cars: Silver Coupe, Silver Coupe push car (Australia), Red Coupe push car, Orange Convertible.[*]The Transformer Movie prop Camaros are converted from production GTOs. Body panels were changed, interior is semi-changed, wheels are black steel 20s with covers on them that simulate the concept's brakes and wheels.[/ul]
Official Camaro links from General Motors:

Camaro Concept Press Release
Production Announcement Press Release
Oshawa Press Release
Camaro Convertible Press Release

Official Camaro Site on Chevrolet.com
Cool intro video, wallpaper downloads and more!
http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/

Old 07-06-2007, 11:51 PM

Thanks for the responses, guys! I'm seriously obsessed... I'm going to have to put up with my Honda Accord for the next year to make it happen, but it's worth it. Sluuug, do you concur that the SS launch will be at least 6 months out? I'm itchin' to get it right away, but I'd hold out that long for the SS!