Accidental discovery

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by edog2
Wow, took 4000 plus miles to notice this.

Where does "R" go when you're driving? Notice that the stick sits between 3 & 4 in it's natural state. When moving pushing to the right and up goes to 5. When sitting still it goes to R. If you coast to a stop you can feel the gate open that allows it to move just a tad further to access R. Just another usless tid bit.
I've read on the Corvette forum that some have hit reverse trying a quick shift to 5 th. Don't think I'd want to accidentally hit reverse going 120 mph forward.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah there is some kind of shift skip prohibitor that keeps the driver from going into the wrong gear. The dealer told that the manual transmission models have this to make sure you don't go from 2nd to 5th or from 4th to Reverse. Pretty cool I stuff

Old 01-27-2010, 10:27 PM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Well there isnt a skip shift prohibiter that I have seen, he was probably talking about the thing that makes you 1-4 shift. I probably skip at least 2 gears anytime I actually get into 6th. Sometimes I go all evens or all odd. Never tried R though other than seeing if it was accesable. I'll have to try the 2-5 thing tomorrow.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

So my finger slipped off the key when starting, but it still started. First time I noticed it, so I tried again and it started. I dont know if this is news to anyone other than me, but I thought it was cool.
New cars generally do this, since their starters are not worn down. I can give my bottom-of-the-barrel Cobalt just a flick of the ignition switch and it starts every single time. You get in the practice of doing that every time and your starter will last a lot longer.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:16 AM
4th Gear Member

My Camaro has done that to me before... Doesn't sound healthy to me though lol. Then again sometimes it starts up like it's ready to do Mach 9. 1 crank and BOOM, big loud start lol. Then sometimes I get a lopey start up like I've got a massive cam in there lol.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:43 PM

Well there isnt a skip shift prohibiter that I have seen, he was probably talking about the thing that makes you 1-4 shift. I probably skip at least 2 gears anytime I actually get into 6th. Sometimes I go all evens or all odd. Never tried R though other than seeing if it was accesable. I'll have to try the 2-5 thing tomorrow.
I agree with the 1-4. Under low load it won't go into 2nd or 3rd from 1st.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:59 AM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Snow melted and I tried 2-5 and 2-6, no blockage. So it is just the forcing to 1-4. You can get the CAGs eliminator for like $30, but I dont know if I want to mess with that just yet. Any of you have it on?

Old 02-03-2010, 07:57 PM

Snow melted and I tried 2-5 and 2-6, no blockage. So it is just the forcing to 1-4. You can get the CAGs eliminator for like $30, but I dont know if I want to mess with that just yet. Any of you have it on?
I have it on the 07 LS2 Corvette. Livernois Motorsports installed when they did the h/c job. Works great and completely eliminated the 1-4 shift.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:09 PM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by BOB EAGAN
I have it on the 07 LS2 Corvette. Livernois Motorsports installed when they did the h/c job. Works great and completely eliminated the 1-4 shift.
Yeah, I am always on the fence about it sitting here. Every time it forces the shift I think "thats why I need it". Cheap, easy, and makes it safer to drive IMO. I think I'll go for it.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:33 AM

Yeah, I am always on the fence about it sitting here. Every time it forces the shift I think "thats why I need it". Cheap, easy, and makes it safer to drive IMO. I think I'll go for it.
IMO it does make the car safer. Seemed the forced shift usually happened making a left hand turn at a light, a place you don't want to be playing with a shifter that won't respond. Go for it, you'll be glad you did.

Quick Reply: Accidental discovery