2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS Preview

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Overdrive Member

thats because it is one...

Old 01-27-2009, 05:42 PM
1st Gear Member

7.0L
...What's the point of having an engine that big in a car if they're just going to detune it so that it doesn't perform like it should?

Old 01-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Overdrive Member

well if 600hp isnt what you want,i guess youre right

Old 01-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Ninja Administrator

detuning is somewhat of a myth...... i suppose you can restrict airflow with baffles, and lower fuel flow, but otherwise you are just making the tune suck and the motor will suffer.

i wouldnt be supprised if the auto and manual make similar rwhp, close enough to call them the same with more loss to the auto. its probably marketing.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:09 AM

Alright, enough already. Just the facts, please. 600 h.p.? Detuned? The 7 liter in the Z06 has 505 h.p. and that is not all that much more than the newly announced 426 h.p. in the 6.2. Now, how about some details/actual news/ information and less opinionated bickering? Does ANYONE have a clue as to whether the 7 liter engine (LS7?) is going to actually be offered?

Old 02-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Ninja Administrator

umm....... wha?

this doesnt look like bickering to me, but A for effert... the whole kickin *** and takin names thing. u were almost there

"detuning" is a common chevy practice. they claimed to do it in the ls1 fbodies relative to the vettes, even though they didnt and the motors were the same. they claim to do it on the new CTS-V with its version of the ls9. this may have more truth to it however, probably lowered boost.

i dont think anyone here was claiming that a detuned ls7 is 600hp, i think he was just mkaing a point. the fact is: no, nobody knows if they will make it available. its all speculation. it wouldnt be difficult, however, to get at least the 7, maybe the 9, in that engine bay, because the motors are all so similar. from a business standpoint, the parts are already there, so its not going to cost a ton to get that option out there, and you could charge through the roof like ford does for its GT500

Old 02-11-2009, 10:25 AM

Too typical forum comment. I asked for factual news. If you have some, please provide same. You say no one knows if 7 liters will be available. Then why say so? I am asking for someone that actually knows something to comment...and no.....I will not comment on a noncomment again but I do hope if anyone learns something they will share ASAP. Thnx in advance anyone for any real info.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Ninja Administrator

that IS real info. Fact: they have not stated that this motor will be available. the most there is are some spy shots of the car with the motor. Fact: its common practice to stuff whatever impressive looking motor you have available for releasing spypics. Fact: hp ratings and motor selection are confusing to alot of people and a discussion on company history is completely valid on an open forum and most likely wont be stopped by someone so new.

the problem is, there are very few 5th gen specific facts out there. we know what will happen for 2010. past that, we do not. those are the facts. you need to try to realize that non-existant information still tells you something. it tells you that nobody knows, so asking the question wont get u anything.

nobody said we WOULD get the ls7 in the new camaro, however if you were paying attention there is a picture of an ls7 in one a few posts up. hence the discussion. if you have any more questions, this is exactly why we're here. but try not to come off so abrasive...

Old 02-11-2009, 02:09 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Danko
Too typical forum comment. I asked for factual news. If you have some, please provide same. You say no one knows if 7 liters will be available. Then why say so? I am asking for someone that actually knows something to comment...and no.....I will not comment on a noncomment again but I do hope if anyone learns something they will share ASAP. Thnx in advance anyone for any real info.
Why are you arguing with people who know more about this than you do?

Old 02-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Ninja Administrator

I think he isnt getting the answer he wants so he is getting pissy. im not really sure why hes being like this. nothing in this thread really calls for it, but it looked like he just showed up and went into about a dozen threads chewing people out for not giving the answers either he wanted, or he felt the OP wanted, not realizing that sometimes the answers just arent there.

Quick Reply: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS Preview