2009camaro = volt????

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Default RE: 2009camaro = volt????

maybe the volt is a boat but a fast new sexy electriccamaro would not be!!!google tesla or better still race one!!! .....there are already electric conversions being done on stangs!! I think gm is roaring or should I say humming back to glory...why not with the venerable camaro!!! Hooray for american ingenuity ( and I am Canadian) .....what a score for gm!!!!!

Old 03-11-2008, 06:09 PM
2nd Gear member

I'd love to have a good electric. I imagine the Volt, once it gets sortedout, will be pretty good. But I'd like the Tesla's power.

Electric cars are very cool. They have immense torque off the line (I won't tell you here, go look up the low end max torque for a Toyota Prius -- you'll be shocked), and more important absolutely instantaneous throttle response, and they can do re-generative braking, which means you get up to 60% of your HP back as re-generated energy. What is not to like? An electric drivetrain is also potentially more reliable: fewer parts, with more of them eletronic and therefore "self diagnosing."

It will take several years for all of this technology to get sorted out (e.g., right now the Tesla is delayed to the market because its low end torque keeps blowing transmissions). Electric cars will improve a lot in the next few years, and I imagine that within, oh, 10 to 15 years, they will not only become much cheaper, more reliable, and lighter, but it will be difficult to win at the track without electric power, except in the classes for "those old, slow, internal combustion engines with so little torque.

I'm about to get a new car, definately a lease for only 30 months, because I figure its not yet time to buy a hybrid on an electric. But 30 months from now . . .

Old 03-12-2008, 01:02 AM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

I'd love to have a good electric. I imagine the Volt, once it gets sortedout, will be pretty good. But I'd like the Tesla's power.

Electric cars are very cool. They have immense torque off the line (I won't tell you here, go look up the low end max torque for a Toyota Prius -- you'll be shocked), and more important absolutely instantaneous throttle response, and they can do re-generative braking, which means you get up to 60% of your HP back as re-generated energy. What is not to like? An electric drivetrain is also potentially more reliable: fewer parts, with more of them eletronic and therefore "self diagnosing."

It will take several years for all of this technology to get sorted out (e.g., right now the Tesla is delayed to the market because its low end torque keeps blowing transmissions). Electric cars will improve a lot in the next few years, and I imagine that within, oh, 10 to 15 years, they will not only become much cheaper, more reliable, and lighter, but it will be difficult to win at the track without electric power, except in the classes for "those old, slow, internal combustion engines with so little torque.

I'm about to get a new car, definately a lease for only 30 months, because I figure its not yet time to buy a hybrid on an electric. But 30 months from now . . .
295ft-lbs! WTF? How can a Prius have as much torque as my Yukon? [&o]

Old 03-12-2008, 02:41 AM
2nd Gear member

Ya know, Im gonna have to ask what your angle is here ken. The only thing youve posted about is wether or not the new camaro is the volt.... Which it obviously isnt, marketing coulda told you that. I know this comes off as being a-hole'ish but it seems weird to come to a forum and pose such a trivial question[&:]

Old 03-12-2008, 03:21 AM

finnaly a couple sensible and informed responses...thank you...Lee and Stephen!!!! I can tell that I am not as technical as you guys, but from a marketing standpoint...an 09 or 10 camaro electric (perhaps option) with Tesla like performance at the same price as 6 or 8 would be an ad/sales persons dream. Lee you know the transition is coming....what better way to launch!!! they will start at the high end for curb appeal and then reduce probably range for the economy market. By then the fast charge infrastucture will be more widespread so it will not be a big deal ie 4hr charge at home 10 minute charge at station. Also, the huge benefits of vehicle to grid will be more developed and better understood.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:12 AM

I will take a stab at it red...there really is no angle...per se.I have done a lot of research about where government research money and grants to industry have been invested both US and Canadian. The huge oshawa autoplex is only 40 minutes up the road and they have been the benificiary of a lot of canadian cash and other educational benefits. As you are no doubt aware they are also building the new camaro there. I also have profound concerns about the U S dependence on foreign oil and the havoc created by that dependence. I am also concerned about the envoirnment...but not a freak about it.mmmm what else I do have some electrical training...I like technological solutions....I like camaros but would need help to change a tire....ironicly my son is a licensed mechanic with his own shop...I was intrigued by the movie who killed the electric car...I like discussing new ideas and what others that are closer to the subject think!! Answer your question???

Old 03-12-2008, 11:46 AM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: itcantbestephen

[
295ft-lbs! WTF? How can a Prius have as much torque as my Yukon? [&o]
Roughly speaking, a gasoline piston engine produces roughly equal torque and HP numbers (at different RPM): 320 Hp and 273 Torq for my Porsche, 405 and 400 for my 'vette (when stock).

Depending on how it is built, an electric motors produces up to 20 times as much torque as HP. that torque will fall off quickly as RPM rises, but at low RPM they just have incredible pulling power. The Prius is just oneexample.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:42 PM

Hi RED ! I hate to pick on you I am sure you area nice guy. BUT TRIVIAL!!!.... When I suggested the new camaro could be...or SHOULD be electric at least as an option is anything but trivial.

The implications of an electric powered mass produced popular vehicle are immence!!

It goes to the way America is powered... be it hydro electric..nuclear....cleaner coal...sun or wind or other renewables!!!!!

I may be wrong that the 09 camaro will be electric { what a missed opportunity }......BUT TRIVIAL....I THINK NOT!!!!!!

Old 12-20-2008, 09:46 PM

starting to make sense to anyone??????

Old 12-20-2008, 11:43 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: ken lawson

maybe the volt is a boat but a fast new sexy electriccamaro would not be!!!google tesla or better still race one!!! .....there are already electric conversions being done on stangs!! I think gm is roaring or should I say humming back to glory...why not with the venerable camaro!!! Hooray for american ingenuity ( and I am Canadian) .....what a score for gm!!!!!
stop it, youre making me look bad.On behalf of Canada we ban you.

Quick Reply: 2009camaro = volt????