LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Help me Get more power

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Talking Help me Get more power

Im looking to get more power out of my 96 z28, but i dont have the time/funds to rebuild the whole engine fresh. Im only 16 and this is my first and only car so all the things that you may suggest should be able to be done in a weekend. So far the only thing not stock is the hooker long tube headers and aftermarket Ca intake. Now i need some suggestions on what else to do to increase my horsepower/throttle response time. or any suggestions in general would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Old 06-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Tech Droid

The easy things already have been done, have you given it a good tune up (new plugs and wires)? Just doing this will kill the weekend. lol

Old 06-22-2012, 06:44 PM
3rd Gear Member

Thats about the extent of easy, cheap power mods. Does it also have a good free flowing muffler and cat to go among with the headers?

Old 06-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

replace the cat with a highflow and a good catback exhaust, than get the computer tuned

Old 06-23-2012, 02:39 AM
iax

magnaflow backcat sounds great aswell

Old 06-23-2012, 05:42 AM
3rd Gear Member

I run magnaflow on my truck, love it. The Z currently has a flowcrapper, which I truly hate. It has the most annoying sound ever. I don't get the hype over those. Anyhow, I was checking prices of magnaflows at oreillys and the guy told me to check out dynomax super turbo. Anyone have one?

Last edited by jkeaton; 06-23-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:05 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^^^ agree. what transmission? stop by the local parts store and have it scanned for trouble codes, if it has any write the code numbers down and let us know what they are. check to see if you have a lt4 knock sensor. solomon is great with mail in or email tunes. LT1 PCM Tuning - OBDI/OBDII PCM Tuning/Programming Service

Old 06-24-2012, 07:26 AM

The headers run to a 3inch Y pipe then its basicly straight piped almost to the the rear then it has some muffler with like a downturn. Ill post some pics soon of the z28. Also what does it do to get the computer tuned?

Old 06-24-2012, 07:28 AM

Also it has no cat at all. I live in Nebraska we get away with nice loud cars. Lol

Old 06-24-2012, 07:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

the only thing you have left to do that would make power would be an underdrive pulley set, but that would only be good for about 5hp, you could gain a couple more hp if you do an a/c delete pulley, but thats about all you have left to do on your motor that would be an easy bolt on, if you want more power you are going to have to start changing internals. in my honest opinion with the facts that you are 16, this is your first car i would suggest leaving it the way it is, i know thats not what your wanting to hear but this is coming from exprience, when i was 16 i owned a couple of high hp street/strip cars and got into alot of trouble with them, i suggest, and again this is just a suggestion, im not telling you to not go all out if thats what your wanting, but just enjoy the car, drive it and find out how it handles and what its limits are and when you know how it handles and reacts like you know the back of your hand, then start with adding more power, the car is pretty powerful the way it is and will take most mustangs so just enjoy now

Quick Reply: Help me Get more power