2010+ General
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 01:34 AM
Default Mods

Hi there. As I have been on different forums and reading, trying to learn as much as I can, I have a question about "mods" our new cars.

People say that if you mod the car, you lose your warranty. Some have talked to their dealers and they say no. I would love to know straight from GM how it stands if a person mods their car while it is under warranty.

Any information on this would be terrific!

Old 03-25-2011, 09:42 AM

Hello!
The reason you are seeing varying reports on warranty coverage may largely be due to the variation in the types of failures and warranty coverage that exist for different parts on the vehicle. It may also be related to whether the installed components are GM approved or not. If the dealership suggests a piece of equipment that is not validated / approved by GM, then the dealership should be questioned on warranty coverages and what they will do if you have a failure.
In general, Powertrain related modifications (Engine, Transmission, Rear Drive Module/Axle...etc) are frowned upon by General Motors. This doesn't mean that making a modification will "automatically" void your warranty. If GM did not validate the components that were installed, then they can't guarantee the performance of the vehicle / components that were affected (fair - right?).
The dealer would have no choice but to cancel the powertrain warranty (body/chassis warranty would remain unaffected). The reason why the entire powertrain warranty would be canceled (instead of just the engine) is because engine modifications may have damaged or severely reduced the life expectancy of the other drivetrain components (i.e. Transmission, Axle...etc) even though symptoms/failures have yet to present from these other drivetrain components. Many changes to torque/horsepower output of an engine causes stresses and failures for related/attached components that General Motors did not test for, nor conform to under federally mandated testing.
Same is true for the bumper to bumper warranty. If you paint the hood, decklid, and ground affects, and then bring the car back a year later for paint de-lamination or rust on those components, they would not be covered under warranty.
Note: The above information DOES NOT apply in cases where the "modifications" were made as part of a GM authorized or manufactured accessory option. Many approved "modifications" are offered through GM's accessories or performance parts division. For these modifications, you will want to visit GM's accessory and performance parts websites to check on warranty coverage, or check with your local dealer on the accessory you are interested in. It would also be wise to review any and all of the warranty coverages that come with the component you purchased or plan to purchase to see if they will be covered.
Hope this helps.