Should i Cam my v6 or do LS swap ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 03:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
The problem with upgrading the cam in the 3800 is you will be making more HP on the higher RPMs but at a cost to the mid range. This means when you try to pass someone and your at 2500 RPMs the car will have less power until you hit 3500 PRMs. With most cams you have to give up something to get something but the v6 is already a little weak in the mid range you really don't want to give anymore up on a daily driver. To really take advantage of that higher RPM HP you really need gears and a torque converter to support it.

If you want to wake up your car a little look at some mid length tube headers and increased ratio rocker arms and a mail order tune. This will increase HP across the whole power band. Check out the FAQ there is a 3800 where to begin I believe.

As craby said the SIII motor is a nice upgrade while the numbers only show a mild increase there main goal in the redesign was to increase mid range torque. Your butt dyno will think your feeling more then a 10% gain.
Yeah i was thinking about getting pace setter mid tubes but i dont know if i should get 3.42 gears or 3.73 and since im thinking about upgrading gears i wanna upgrade my driveshaft to an aluminum one

Old 11-18-2016, 03:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
The problem with upgrading the cam in the 3800 is you will be making more HP on the higher RPMs but at a cost to the mid range. This means when you try to pass someone and your at 2500 RPMs the car will have less power until you hit 3500 PRMs. With most cams you have to give up something to get something but the v6 is already a little weak in the mid range you really don't want to give anymore up on a daily driver. To really take advantage of that higher RPM HP you really need gears and a torque converter to support it.

If you want to wake up your car a little look at some mid length tube headers and increased ratio rocker arms and a mail order tune. This will increase HP across the whole power band. Check out the FAQ there is a 3800 where to begin I believe.

As craby said the SIII motor is a nice upgrade while the numbers only show a mild increase there main goal in the redesign was to increase mid range torque. Your butt dyno will think your feeling more then a 10% gain.
What does a tune really do ? I looked it up several times and still dont understand what it does .
And are u saying i need mid tubes, upgraded gears, upgraded torque converter, increased ratio rocker arms and a mail tune in order to get the cam ?

Old 11-18-2016, 03:54 PM
4th Gear Member

most v6 cars have 3,23 ,so for the cost just keep it stock ,headers an a tune like said will help ,anything past that is big bucks ,A tune the kind there talking about they send the software to hook up a computer to you cars computer an tune it the way you want it ,

Old 11-18-2016, 04:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

So i shouldnt do the cam and just do the headers and everything else ?

Old 11-18-2016, 05:28 PM
4th Gear Member

i would do one thing at a time post some pics?? of this i guess its a 1998 ,if you want looks zr1 wheels are your best bet ,that gets people looking the polished aluminum ones ,you can also do headers an like a thrush exhaust with dual tips will make it louder too an also give it the v8 appearance ,then move on to a hood ,me i would save the hood for a z28 car an keep the 3800 stock ,only thing i have not stock on my 99 3800 is the thrush exhaust with dual tips

Old 11-18-2016, 05:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
i would do one thing at a time post some pics?? of this i guess its a 1998 ,if you want looks zr1 wheels are your best bet ,that gets people looking the polished aluminum ones ,you can also do headers an like a thrush exhaust with dual tips will make it louder too an also give it the v8 appearance ,then move on to a hood ,me i would save the hood for a z28 car an keep the 3800 stock ,only thing i have not stock on my 99 3800 is the thrush exhaust with dual tips
Its a 1999 i dont have those wheels anymore and yeah i want to start with the looks first i just had questions about it performance wise

Old 11-18-2016, 05:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Should i Cam my v6 or do LS swap ??-photo669.jpgShould i Cam my v6 or do LS swap ??-photo944.jpgShould i Cam my v6 or do LS swap ??-photo945.jpgShould i Cam my v6 or do LS swap ??-photo69.jpg

Old 11-18-2016, 05:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

When i bought it i guess it had stock exhaust no resonator den i had flowmasters put on thats the only mod and alotta sensors replaced etc...

Old 11-19-2016, 11:07 AM
4th Gear Member

looks great an like you got black zr1 wheels on there i would keep it just the way it is nice car , if you choose photo bucket open an account load your pictures there from your computer ,it was hard for me it took me a bit before it was explained,ok so open account photobucket is free,then when your ready to load it hear one picture at a time on the right side it will say share this photo an have 4 choises right click on the last one for this site it will say copied then left click an paste hear after that its pretty easy an then you know how to do it too, those are wheel covers on my 99,look like rims an my engine swap 406 an its on the bottle or can be i would not worry about wheels those look great unless you got to have chrome look

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 11-19-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:38 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Lol preciate it and yeah i had a hard time tryna post pics. Is this your v6? I see u got a little throttle and bottle going lol how much hp do u get from nitrous i was thinking bout it myself but mine is a daily.

Quick Reply: Should i Cam my v6 or do LS swap ??