new to the forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 03:00 PM
4th Gear Member
Default new to the forum

hello I am new to this forum I have 1995 z28 ,the engine is tired after 19 years or near,? my mech is installing a carberated 406 sbc crate motor from karl permormance . we got everything figured out pretty much with the mach up ,?WHAT IS NEEDED TO PROPERLY CONTROL THE TRANSMISSION SHIFT POINTS WHEN COVERTING TO CARBERATION. CAPS SO CLEARLY SEEN . ,some guys that have done anything similar may no ,the the lt1 is fuel injection ,an bang for my buck this seems the best idea ,any help would be great ,I am not certain how the forum works exactly yet I am thinking I am posting at the newbi point thank you

Old 08-13-2014, 05:40 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
hello I am new to this forum I have 1995 z28 ,the engine is tired after 19 years or near,? my mech is installing a carberated 406 sbc crate motor from karl permormance . we got everything figured out pretty much with the mach up ,?WHAT IS NEEDED TO PROPERLY CONTROL THE TRANSMISSION SHIFT POINTS WHEN COVERTING TO CARBERATION. CAPS SO CLEARLY SEEN . ,some guys that have done anything similar may no ,the the lt1 is fuel injection ,an bang for my buck this seems the best idea ,any help would be great ,I am not certain how the forum works exactly yet I am thinking I am posting at the newbi point thank you
There are several threads covering this in the project sub folder. You should start a thread there. I am not sure how far your mechanic has dug into this but just about everything in your car, every gage, every control with the possible exception of your headlights is in some way tied into the PCM. The hours it takes to do a full conversion and have little things like windshield wipers and defrosters and a speedometer that works is crazy.

The transmission fix is simple you need a transmission for a 1993. It will have all the mounts you need and it is pre-computer control.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:40 PM
4th Gear Member

well thank you for your reply ,not sure I understand I have an excisting tranmission ,in the 1995 ,so if I am understranding you then the transmission like some other thing will run off the excisting computer ,they just pulled the engine yesterday .so I guess what condufuseme is why I would need 1993 transmission .that would not be simple .couse I ahev fully functional car they are just swaping motors from fuel injection to carb thank you scott

Old 08-14-2014, 08:47 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

93 is only partly electronic and shifts are controled by the vss and throttle cable. 95 is full electronic. the cost involved in doing what you wish will add up fast.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:44 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
well thank you for your reply ,not sure I understand I have an excisting tranmission ,in the 1995 ,so if I am understranding you then the transmission like some other thing will run off the excisting computer ,they just pulled the engine yesterday .so I guess what condufuseme is why I would need 1993 transmission .that would not be simple .couse I ahev fully functional car they are just swaping motors from fuel injection to carb thank you scott
What you are not getting is when you remove the fuel injection you remove the PCM (Power train control module) Once you disconnect the PCM your computer "network" stops working. Think of it as your server. You BCM (body control module) stops working. which means your Heat/AC control, power window, power door lock, radio and I am sure a few things I am forget stop working. Also your dash is connected to the PCM so nothing in the dash will work.

The PCM also control when your car shifts. You will need an older transmission from before they where controlled by PCMs. It really sounds to me like your mechanic is in over his head and has no idea the can of worms he has opened.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:05 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i moved this portion of the thread to the 4th gen general section. the op in that thread has an 02 and 95camaro406 has a 95. i dont think a 95 has a bcm does it?