cheap code readers

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 10:12 PM
2nd Gear member

I have two, the first one for over two years. They both work fine. They are a lot cheaper if you get them without a case, because of shipping costs. I don't like the case I got with the first one anyway, it broke too easily. A simple airplane carry-on bag works fine for about $15.

I have read that review too and it's complete BS. These are made by the same folks in China that made the "real" ones for Vetronics and Bosch. There is one small weakness however, and that is the 5v power supply inside. It causes the tool to shut off whenever there is a power surge or dip, like when starting the engine. The original ones do not do that. It's a nuisance only, none of the features are affected. The right power supply is available for about $20 but it requires some soldering skills to install it.

Lately I have noticed that the same sellers are offering any component in the unit for a competitive price. So if needed, you can repair them yourself if you know what is defective. For example, if you were to crack the glass LCD display, a new one would cost about $50.

Also, AliExpress has a feature that withholds payment to the seller until you confirm receipt and that the product is satisfactory.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 07-19-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
I have two, the first one for over two years. They both work fine. They are a lot cheaper if you get them without a case, because of shipping costs. I don't like the case I got with the first one anyway, it broke too easily. A simple airplane carry-on bag works fine for about $15.

I have read that review too and it's complete BS. These are made by the same folks in China that made the "real" ones for Vetronics and Bosch. There is one small weakness however, and that is the 5v power supply inside. It causes the tool to shut off whenever there is a power surge or dip, like when starting the engine. The original ones do not do that. It's a nuisance only, none of the features are affected. The right power supply is available for about $20 but it requires some soldering skills to install it.

Lately I have noticed that the same sellers are offering any component in the unit for a competitive price. So if needed, you can repair them yourself if you know what is defective. For example, if you were to crack the glass LCD display, a new one would cost about $50.

Also, AliExpress has a feature that withholds payment to the seller until you confirm receipt and that the product is satisfactory.
Thanks heaps for the feedback - I am going to purchase one

Old 07-20-2016, 07:42 PM
1st Gear Member

ANyone had any experience with MX bluetooth adaptor with GM Enhanced addon? Looks like it supports the ABS,airbag etc systems?

https://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/.../obdlink-mxbt/

Old 08-30-2016, 05:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I didn't read the other reply's so I don't know if it's already been said...
But I've been using the bluetooth ELM327 adapter that I bought off ebay for $6 with the Android Torque app about $6 and it does more than most of my friends $300+ units. And I can leave it hooked up and watch the data while I drive.
Going 5+ years strong with this little unit.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:37 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by grasshopper645
ANyone had any experience with MX bluetooth adaptor with GM Enhanced addon? Looks like it supports the ABS,airbag etc systems?

https://www.scantool.net/scan-tools/.../obdlink-mxbt/

I have a 4-year old version of ScanXL Standard with the GM enhanced option. It does not have any ABS or SRS capability for a 93-98 F-car, because on those cars, the ABS and SRS modules are not on the Class 2 OBD2 bus. Neither does it have any "bi-directional" actuators like a Tech 2 has. The folks at Palmer Engineering who wrote the software always say they will add it sometime, but that has been years now and nothing has been added yet. Don't count on that ever happening. This package really doesn't do much more than Torque for Android.

As for the Torque application, it does not have those either, although it would not be impossible for the author to add those. Don't hold you breath waiting for it. Performance is somewhat limited by the ELM327 adapter. But it does have many of the enhanced parameters and you can add more if you want, if you know the data. Again, nothing to match a Tech 2, except maybe better datalogging.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 08-30-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
I have a 4-year old version of ScanXL Standard with the GM enhanced option. It does not have any ABS or SRS capability for a 93-98 F-car, because on those cars, the ABS and SRS modules are not on the Class 2 OBD2 bus. Neither does it have any "bi-directional" actuators like a Tech 2 has. The folks at Palmer Engineering who wrote the software always say they will add it sometime, but that has been years now and nothing has been added yet. Don't count on that ever happening. This package really doesn't do much more than Torque for Android.

As for the Torque application, it does not have those either, although it would not be impossible for the author to add those. Don't hold you breath waiting for it. Performance is somewhat limited by the ELM327 adapter. But it does have many of the enhanced parameters and you can add more if you want, if you know the data. Again, nothing to match a Tech 2, except maybe better datalogging.
Yep - have tested scanXL with gm addon - no airbag or abs or bcm support. Looks like a gm tech2 is the only option for full diagnosis on these year cars.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:09 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

im looking at ordering tech2. have needed one on so many occasions

Old 09-01-2016, 08:46 PM
2nd Gear member

For what it's worth. I ordered my stuff from Sam Xiang on Aliexpress. He is usually slightly more expensive (maybe $15-20 in this case) but I have had no issues with anything from him. The other sellers may be ok too, I just don't know.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DHL-...08.0.63.3Ewbbu