cheap code readers

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Default cheap code readers

Any cheap code readers that can pull all obd2 codes for my '97 z28? (including abs)

Wanting a cheap way for diy diagnosis and repairs, without having to go through the hassle of getting a mechanic with the expensive scantools.

I understand the standard bluetooth android scanners wont pull abs codes?

Last edited by grasshopper645; 07-17-2016 at 04:19 AM.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:22 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have you looked at what garydoug has done. pretty sure you can scan with usb/obd2 cable OBD1 scan program for free - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Old 07-07-2016, 10:04 PM
2nd Gear member

I have verified that Scan9495 will access the 96 ABS controller just like a 94 or 95, but I don't know about the 97. To find out, you would have to build or buy a 16-pin OBD1 (not OBD2) cable. In 97, the ABS was still on the old OBD1 data bus.

It won't read the OBD2 pcm however. But then any cheap OBD2 code reader can do that.

To get everything, you can but a Chinese-made Tech2 clone for about $250. I have two and they work fine.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 07-08-2016 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:02 PM
4th Gear Member

I hear with the cheap ones they only do so much ,with one for your car only you can do so much more ,so you get what you pay for ,get a good one for your car will do a lot more

Old 07-09-2016, 07:27 AM
4th Gear Member

What do you consider cheap? You can buy a good, "cheap" Actron reader that is easily updated and will do just about anything you need for about $250 at the local parts store. CP9580(A) is what most auto parts stores use. $110, does everything but airbags and OBD-1. Or you can spend money on a high end up that's $2k.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:44 PM
4th Gear Member

cheap 30.00 the good one about what you said ,if he can find a used one from a 97 car that would be good like hypertech ,if he wants like 25 more hp he can get a jet chip ,if he just wants to clear codes he should be able to get one for $100.00 an less will tune an do most all

Old 07-11-2016, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member

My goal is diy repairs. My '97 Z is getting high in milage now and I'm wanting to do basic troubleshooting myself.

I'm happy to pay a couple of hundred if it will at least allow me to read all the fault codes (including abs, airbag etc) otherwise i guess i will just get a cheap bluetooth one and use a mechanic for more advanced stuff.

Thoughts?

Old 07-12-2016, 01:30 PM
4th Gear Member

look for a hypertech 2 for your year should do it ,

Old 07-12-2016, 04:31 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grasshopper645
My goal is diy repairs. My '97 Z is getting high in milage now and I'm wanting to do basic troubleshooting myself.

I'm happy to pay a couple of hundred if it will at least allow me to read all the fault codes (including abs, airbag etc) otherwise i guess i will just get a cheap bluetooth one and use a mechanic for more advanced stuff.

Thoughts?
OBD II & CAN Scan Tool with ABS

Are you really in New Zealand? If so, even with the on-line 20% off coupon from Harbor Freight you'll still get killed on shipping and duties

but the link above will do the trick

Since the car is OBD2 then a unit like above will fit the bill

Old 07-12-2016, 10:46 PM
2nd Gear member

Guys,

Unless you have experience with a specific scantool, please do not recommend one. The scantool linked at Harbor Freight will NOT read the ABS or SRS modules on a 97 F-car. On these cars before 1999, the ABS and SRS modules are NOT on the OBD2 bus and are not OBD2 modules, and that tool only works for OBD2 modules. He would waste his money on it.
Here are some reviews:

By disaponinted

Comments about Cen-Tech OBD II & CAN Scan Tool with ABS:
this scan tool with abs does not work on abs for a 1998 Pontiac .it shows you go to Pontiac and it will work
no Pontiac only gm and when selected you get Buick only . so i just want to bye something that works like the box said it would

Bottom Line No, I would not recommend this to a friend

By Walter
I have a couple older scanners which work well but they didn't get ABS codes so I tried this one out of the box and the ABS setup called for the 4th character of the VIN # but the "W" did not show as a selection. I tried all four of the codes listed and none worked. Then I tried updating the unit using the disk provided. The process went smoothly but when plugging it into my 97 Lumina it came up with the same result (unable to connect). Very good price and a quality tool if it worked on my car.

By Doinmo
I bought this to check my ABS fault on a 97 Chevy Blazer. This device does not support this vehicle. Update did not correct the problem

If you want something that will do the PCM, ABS, SRS and many other modules on most GM cars from 1992-2013, then the Tech2 is the one you want. You can buy a perfectly good new cloned one from China for about $250 including shipping from AliExpress. These come from the factories that used to produce the "real" Tech2's for Bosch. It will take 2-3 weeks to arrive and there should be no customs charges if it is like the ones I have bought. At that price, it will not come with a case, but you can buy a suitable case at someplace like H/F for about $20 or less. There is an element of risk of course and it may be tedious to get warantee exchanges since you would probably have to send it back if there was a problem. The two I bought have worked perfectly for almost 2 years now.

I bought them from this seller, Sam Xiang:
DHL Free Shipping 2016 Best Quality GM TECH2 Full Set Support 6 Softwares(GM,OPEL,SAAB ISUZU,SUZUKI,HOLDEN) GM Tech 2 Scanner-in Code Readers & Scan Tools from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Last edited by GaryDoug; 07-12-2016 at 11:18 PM.

Quick Reply: cheap code readers