632ci engine installation in 78 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 07:47 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by clacia
Thanks for the information. Really works well - That is the speed range and RPM I am looking at normal driving around the island.

What I am concerned is about the maximum speed. The calculations used will be that at approx 5500 engine RPM the max speed will be of 118MPH. Is this lcorrect? Is this low for a 572 or a normal speed.
Max speed for your 572 will depend on how it's built. It could be almost any rpm, but Chevy's ZZ572/720R crate engine has a maximum recommended rpm of 6750 rpm. That equals about 145 mph top speed for your gear ratio and tire size, if that's the 572 you're getting. Do you have anyplace on the island you can go that fast?

Old 01-31-2015, 11:01 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Max speed for your 572 will depend on how it's built. It could be almost any rpm, but Chevy's ZZ572/720R crate engine has a maximum recommended rpm of 6750 rpm. That equals about 145 mph top speed for your gear ratio and tire size, if that's the 572 you're getting. Do you have anyplace on the island you can go that fast?
It was just only for my interest. I wish I had that space for WOT to reach that speed!!!
Thanks

Old 01-31-2015, 03:45 PM
2nd Gear member

I have miles and miles and miles of open two lane highway here that are completely bare at night, i would never even remotely consider taking my car to the top speed. They are too old for that stuff. Are you set on the Turbo 400? Why not get a 4 speed?

Old 02-01-2015, 12:47 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Sudstoy
I have miles and miles and miles of open two lane highway here that are completely bare at night, i would never even remotely consider taking my car to the top speed. They are too old for that stuff. Are you set on the Turbo 400? Why not get a 4 speed?
Hello, how are you doing with yours?? Having fun with it? How is the fuel economy of your 572- any regrets of fuel economy??

By saying Too Old you mean handling wise?

Regarding the transmission choice, all my friends tells me to go for the TH400 and since my camaro is an automatic I never thought of a 4 speed. What 4 speed are available in the market which can hold the 572 torque? And are these manual or auto?

Thanks

Old 02-02-2015, 09:37 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Hello, how are you doing with yours?? Having fun with it? How is the fuel economy of your 572- any regrets of fuel economy??

Regarding the transmission choice, all my friends tells me to go for the TH400 and since my camaro is an automatic I never thought of a 4 speed. What 4 speed are available in the market which can hold the 572 torque? And are these manual or auto?

Thanks
Nobody puts a 572 Chevy in a car and even thinks about gas mileage. If gas mileage is a concern you should skip any BBC engine and go to an LS based engine. They have a much better chance of getting over 500 hp, and still getting decent gas mileage. Especially of they're backed by a well built OD trans.
As for 4 speeds that handle the 572, I'd consider either a M22 Muncie, if you don't mind the whine. Or consider one of the aftermarket 4 speed trans from Lenco, Richmond Gear, etc. Or one of the aftermarket 5 speeds based on the T56 platform. When reworked they are rated at over 700 ft. lbs. torque, and should hold up to a street driven 572 Camaro. The 5 speed would help a little with mileage once you're out on the highway and can get into 5th gear. (if that's a possible scenario on the island?)

Old 02-03-2015, 12:49 PM
2nd Gear member

Nobody puts a 572 Chevy in a car and even thinks about gas mileage. If gas mileage is a concern you should skip any BBC engine and go to an LS based engine. They have a much better chance of getting over 500 hp, and still getting decent gas mileage. Especially of they're backed by a well built OD trans.
As for 4 speeds that handle the 572, I'd consider either a M22 Muncie, if you don't mind the whine. Or consider one of the aftermarket 4 speed trans from Lenco, Richmond Gear, etc. Or one of the aftermarket 5 speeds based on the T56 platform. When reworked they are rated at over 700 ft. lbs. torque, and should hold up to a street driven 572 Camaro. The 5 speed would help a little with mileage once you're out on the highway and can get into 5th gear. (if that's a possible scenario on the island?)
I got your point. cheers

Old 02-03-2015, 12:52 PM
2nd Gear member

Who sells M22 Muncie?

Old 02-03-2015, 01:23 PM
2nd Gear member

I have been having a ton of fun with mine. I drove it for two days last week and was lucky enough to get it back on the hoist before it snowed 15cm and dropped down to -15.

The fuel economy is absolute crap. I haven't worked it out but I would guess 150km to 50 liters or so of fuel. Maybe a bit worse then that. Regrets, yes two of them. The first would be to do it over again I would have a more powerful LS based engine with twin turbos, but since I didn't do that, I really, really, really want to buy a fuel injection system for this. I swore up and down that I was going to stay with a carb when I built it but now I feel as though the better fuel efficiency and drivability of a FI motor would be better. Too bad I now have a 5 day old baby at home and can't justify spending thousands on something that isn't required.

When I say the car is too old to drive at like 240km/h I mean it doesn't feel safe enough. I have drove like an *** like that lots when i was younger but it was in cars that were tight and solid.

I have a 4L80e (without the electronics) and it is built for 1200hp. It's a 4 speed automatic. There are several new school gm transmissions that will work with a 572. If you are decent with electrical work you can leave the electronics on the transmission and it will help with the drivability huge. Shifting gears in an auto is a pain sometimes.

Thanks

Old 02-04-2015, 08:19 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Who sells M22 Muncie?
I don't know of a source selling new M22 Muncies. There are various shops in the USA selling rebuilt M22's, or refurbished. And many M22's listed used or rebuilt on Ebay. But this might be a tough item to buy for you, and get shipped overseas to you.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:45 PM
2nd Gear member

I don't know of a source selling new M22 Muncies. There are various shops in the USA selling rebuilt M22's, or refurbished. And many M22's listed used or rebuilt on Ebay. But this might be a tough item to buy for you, and get shipped overseas to you.
For now, I will stay with the TH400, unless the 4L80e can be installed without modifying the car transmission tunnel. If to install the 4L80e I need to cut and weld the tunnel, I would stay with the TH400.

Quick Reply: 632ci engine installation in 78 camaro