annoying squeaking sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default annoying squeaking sound

Hi,

When i'm driving on a un-even road, I get a very annoying squeaking sound which seems to be coming from the front passenger side. When I've had the hood up and pressed down on the suspension, it appears to be more central. In normal driving it's fine, it only happens when the suspension is pressed right down. Parts that have been replaced in the last few years are: shocks, anti sway bar / end links and ball joints top / bottom. Can someone please point me in the right direction on what to start checking first.

many thanks from Luke

Old 07-01-2015, 10:12 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Well normally those squeaks come from control arm bushings. Often new bushings can squeak if not installed right, but you didn't mention they've been replaced, so I'd guess they're dry and worn out.
Replacing the bushings will most likely fix the squeak, and you might use some spray penetrant around the upper and lower bushings to see if it temporarily stops the squeak. Liberally spray with a penetrant that has a nozzle to direct into the pivot point, and then work the suspension to see if it stops. This wont be a permanent fix, but will let you confirm if it's the bushings, and then you can schedule replacement.
If you replace them, the options are three varieties. Stock rubber, polyurethane, or delrin. Priced in the same order also. Be sure to use plenty of lubricant on all of them during assembly. They never come with enough, and I buy an 8 oz. cup for this job, and liberally add it to all bushings, shafts, bolts, etc., to eliminate new bushing squeaks.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for your reply

No I've not replaced them yet! and they are dry and cracked!. I will try what you surgested tomorrow to confirm.
They were on my list of this to do in the future, but I was going to replace the whole arms with performance parts. If it's them will have to check my funds, as it costs me loads extra to import parts

Thanks

Old 07-04-2015, 10:36 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Complete arms make for an easier repair, but are much more money to purchase. And of course you've got the import issues that add significantly to the cost also! Bushing kits would save a lot of money, and stock control arms are much stronger than those tubular control arms. But of course they wont have the cool factor of tubular aftermarket arms.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:32 AM
1st Gear Member

I tried WD-40 and automotive grease on them but it's not made any difference!. I think your still right, that there at fault, but is there anything else that could be making this noise?.
I was looking at the control arms supplied by Customworks Camaro
I thought the tubular arms are always advertised as, lighter and stronger?

Thanks from Luke

Old 07-06-2015, 10:23 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by stox58
I tried WD-40 and automotive grease on them but it's not made any difference!. I think your still right, that there at fault, but is there anything else that could be making this noise?.
I was looking at the control arms supplied by Customworks Camaro
I thought the tubular arms are always advertised as, lighter and stronger?

Thanks from Luke
I would agree that tubular arms are lighter, but seriously doubt they can back up their claims of being stronger. I'd bet the tubular would break or bend easily in almost any accident that put any impact in that area.
If it's not quieter after spraying, I'd guess the penetrant isn't getting into the area. You might get a buddy to work the car's suspension, while you get an ear closer to see where it's coming from. I still think it's old bushings, as there's really nothing else but ball joints that move there, and ball joints usually wont squeak.