Wheels, Tires and other Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

wanted: instructions (preferably with pics) on how to change fog light bulb

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 12:29 PM
1st Gear Member
Default wanted: instructions (preferably with pics) on how to change fog light bulb

on 93 to 97 foglights, for future reference, i am planning to convert them to HID soon. i dont need instructions on how to install the ballast or any of the other HID stuff, just how to take apart the lens and maybe how to put it back together. thanks! step by step pics would be greatly appreciated, but aren't required.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:32 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: wanted: instructions (preferably with pics) on how to change fog light bulb

Any reason you need to take the lens off?

Old 11-30-2008, 12:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: wanted: instructions (preferably with pics) on how to change fog light bulb

yeah, isnt that what you do to change the bulb? from what i heard, they arent sealed beamers like the low/high beams are.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:54 PM
Overdrive Member

I guess I misunderstood you. I thought you wanted to take the lens off the housing... There are two ways to replace the bulbs. I would only recommend one if you are doing HIDfor the fogs, though. One way is to access it from under the car. Remove all the lower black plastic guards. Then you will see the bottom of the front bumper/nose attached on the bottom with three clips/plugs or whatever you want to call them. Pry out the center of them all, then pull the plugs/screws/clips. Pull down that piece of the bumper/nose, and you will see wires on each side where the foglights go. The wires go through a hole and then plug into the bulbs. This is not the method I would choose for replacing the bulbs with HIDs (may inadvertantly damage bulbs). Second method is somewhat easier to replace bulb. On the foglights there are three things holding it in place. An adjusting/aimingscrew at the top, and two of those pesky clips on the sides. I would remove the screw first (remember how many turns it is to remove it, so it will be aimed the same earlier). Removing the screw first will allow you swivel the foglight down to gain a little better access to clips on the side. Once the clips are removed, you may pull the housing towards you to unplug the bulb.

As a side note: When I installed the bulbs into the fog housings, I ran across a little problem at first. There is a little reflector on the inside of the housing, and the bulbs wouldn't fit due to the reflector. I finally figured out you would use a screwdriver to move the reflector more towards the glass lens. This allowed the bulbs to fit. You may be able to remove the reflector all together, but I didn't try.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member

oh ok. thanks for the help! i wanted to try the HID experiment (when one of my regular halogens that i have now burns out) because my stepdad has those on his 08 vette and i love them to death. too bad they dont make HIDs for the 93-97 high and low beams yet, if they ever come out with HIDs for the H4351 and 52, ill be one of the first to ****** a set up.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Overdrive Member

I have HIDs on my 97. You can do it as well. If you look at my thread in this section titled "I am torn...". I have a pic and a little description in there.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Overdrive Member

Pic of foglight with said aiming screw. Clips are on side of bracket holding the housing.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:29 PM
1st Gear Member

im assuming you got inside the sealed beam and changed the bulb. if so, how, and if not, what did you order, and in either case, what bulb did you use?

Old 11-30-2008, 01:37 PM
Overdrive Member

You can either twist the bulbs out of the housings, and then seal new bulbs back up with RTV, or you can order some housings from www.eurolamps.com which allow you swap out the bulbs easier, by just unclipping them. 9006 for the lows, and 9005 for the highs. I didn't get HID for the highs, for a couple reasons. I rarely get to use them, and the fact that turning HID on/off repeatedly will wear them out. Sometime today I am going to do a writeup on HID's as I have been getting quite a few PMs on how to do it. Pics will be included for ballast locations and wire routing. If you would like pics of anything in particular, let me know and I will see what I can do.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:46 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks, i appreciate all the help, one more ?.yours are the charged blue and white right?

Quick Reply: wanted: instructions (preferably with pics) on how to change fog light bulb