Wheels, Tires and other Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

Racing stripes

Old 09-01-2008, 02:55 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Racing stripes

Applied them by myself (with a friend.) Came out a lot better then I thought. Back end is lined up right as well, looks like it's not in the pic though.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:59 PM
DeZ
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Racing stripes

imo i dont think it looks good, no offense. what is it a 95 model? looks exactly like my 95 < avatar.

i was to striped any car i would have the base color to match the car color ( maybe a bit lighter ) with black outline.

the stripes look nicely managed. did you use any type of tool to make sure its lined up or eyed it? im thinking about running a stripe down by the skirt.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:26 PM
1st Gear Member

haha, no problem. It's a body kit, so obviousley I picked what I liked, not everyone is going to like it. On the dark forrest green, the only colors I liked were white and gold.

As for the tools, yes. I really wouldn't just go by what looks straight, because if you mess up, its a big waste of money.

I lined it up using a tape measure and painters tape. Measure at all points to make sure it was lined up precisely even. Put the painters tape down so you have guidelines when you are laying the vinyl down.

If you are doing it yourself though, you will need some supplies for laying it down as well though. Mainly water/soap in a spray bottle, and a squeege/ x-acto knife to get any bubbles out. They are not that easy to lay down, so i'd reccomend looking at a detailed guide on how to do it.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:51 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

hmm, not bad. It's also nice to put a little rubbing alcohol in the soapy water. Makes it dry faster. I use a few drops of soap and a teaspoon of alcohol.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:05 PM
DeZ
1st Gear Member

any side stripes? their not easy to rip off eaither, on my eclipse i scratched her up like a 1st degree assault, but i found out when the stripes/body gets nice and warm they peel off easier.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:19 PM
2nd Gear member

i think it looks badass bro

Old 09-02-2008, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: musicman

hmm, not bad. It's also nice to put a little rubbing alcohol in the soapy water. Makes it dry faster. I use a few drops of soap and a teaspoon of alcohol.
I actually used a alcohol/soap/water compound first to get the wax/sealent off the hood and back so the stripes would stick alot easier and hopefully last alot alonger.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

wow!! very nice...Where do u live because i have them, but im just scared ill mess it up...1-10 how hard?

Old 09-03-2008, 05:49 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pimpdd101

wow!! very nice...Where do u live because i have them, but im just scared ill mess it up...1-10 how hard?
chicago.

Well,the biggest and most important part: USE HELP FROM A FRIEND. You are dealing with very large pieces of vinyl and if you have 2 people, it is so much easier to ensure the vinyl does not stick to itself. Use blue painters tape, and put markings all over to where the vinyl should fit. Then have your friend place it at one end, while you hold the other end in the air.(or vice versa) Then, use a squeege and slowly press the vinyl down from one end to the other, this will leave the last amount of bubbles. I'm sure you know to drench the car in water/2 drops of dishwashing soap in a spray bottle so you can move the vinyl if it doesn't stick. The only way you can really ruin the vinyl is it it creases over itself and sticks to itself, don't freak out if you don't place exactley right and don't freak out about bubbles.

Tip 2: Start on the back end, then the roof, then do the front. Get comfortable with your method of laying them down, letting them sit, and popping out all the little water/air bubbles.

Tip 3: After you take the top wax paper off, use the squeege to try and spread all the water to the edge and out under the stripe. This takes alot of time to get all of it out, so be patient, its worth it. The bubbles you cant move, take a sharp pin (like as pointy and small as a fish hook) and pop a small bubble in between all the water. Then squeege it out of the small hole from all sides.

Any questions, ask?

Old 09-03-2008, 08:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes

[sm=smiley20.gif]you did a really awesome job applying them, I would never be able to put stripes on a car without screwing them up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Racing stripes