VS Cars going head to head!

St. Patrick's Day Fun

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 02:27 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default St. Patrick's Day Fun

We had a few good races tonight. Probably the best night for racing I've ever had

'02 Z06 with bolt ons vs 02' Z28 with H/C/I and bolt ons
My Z06 has a K&N CAI, Texas Speed LT headers, 3" O/R Y-pipe and Borla Catback on a stock tune.

My friends Z28 has trick flow Heads, unk Cam, Fast 102 intake and full bolt ons. Dyno'd over 440 rwhp, but said it was 105 degrees when dyno'd and probably has a bit more power than that.

We did 3 runs, the first and last runs were no good because of bad shifts, and he won both of them. The 2nd race was quite good (40-140), we started at a 40 roll and honked it off. He starts in 1st, I'm in second. I recall him jumping out just a little, but after he hit second I closed the gap. During 3rd gear he started to pull again and got about a fender. I hit 4th gear and started to pull him back in. I got a fender in front of him and then he grabbed another gear and ended up pulling out in front. We ended up letting off at 140 with him in front.

I expected to win, but no shame in loosing to a H/C/I LS1 when I have a stock motor. He has a very fast car. My friend got this on video and I will add it later if I can.

'02 Z06 with bolt ons vs S197 GT with bolt ons and nitrous
After we get back I have another friend with a bolt on S197 GT 4.6 with a 75 shot of nitrous. He admits I will probably wins but wants to race me. Apparently he raced a new 5.0 with an intake and stayed with him pretty well, but I wasn't there. We did two 40 rolls. The first time he was just on motor. I pulled really hard, left him right away and just kept pulling.

The second race I let him get a little jump to make it better. He jumped out about a fender and I nailed it. Started to reel him in pretty fast. I was in front by the time I hit 3rd. I continued to pull on him, Idk how close he was but he didn't fall back as far as he did the first time. My friend got this on video and I will add it later if I can.

Mazda Speed 3 vs '94 Corvette
After I got back I set up some races for a friend who wanted to find someone to run. He has a Mazda Speed 3 with just a CAI. The first race we did was against an LT1 C4 Corvette. They raced twice and the Mazda won both races pretty easily.

After they got back the guy said he wanted to race again after he put his targa top on. (turns out the car is limited under a certain speed when the tops off, idk if this is true, but my friend said he was faster the second time out) They ran again with the top on, and the mazda still won, although it was closer. I got this on video and I will add it later if I can.

Hyundai Genesis vs '94 Corvette
Then we organized a race between the C4 and a turbo Genesis. I tried to watch this race from behind but it seemed pretty slow. Apparently the C4 won pretty easily.

'08 Shelby GT500 vs '02 Corvette Z06 with bolt ons
Then, just as I was thinking what a good night of racing it was, we get back. And there is a GT500 sitting there. I knew instantly I wanted to race him. I talked to him and he said sure. The car is a '08 Shelby GT500 that they claimed was stock. (aren't they all...)

1st race: We start at a 40 roll and honk it off. Through 2nd gear I pull out maybe a couple inches in front. When I get 3rd gear I broke the tires loose, the T/C kicked in and cut the power for a second. The Shelby jumped out about 1 length. I get back in it, but can't pull him back.

2nd race: We are on the interstate with no traffic around. I get the left lane, the GT500 gets the right, and my friend jumps in the middle lane with his 750 rwhp Camaro. We slow down to 40 and start to honk it off, three wide. On the third honk the Shelby and I nail it. The sound of his supercharger whining mixed with my screaming V8 was absolutely beautiful, an amazing experience. We are side by side, each car pushing as hard as it can to out distance the other. I would shift, and he would pull out a bumper. Then he would shift and I would jump out a bumper. It was a truly awesome feeling, that you would have to have experienced before to know what I mean.

Mean while my friend in the Camaro nails it, his open side pipes drowned out the sound of both of our engines and torture our eardrums. He starts to pull in front of us. Then he hits the nitrous and rockets in front of us, pulling several car lengths in front. The GT500 and I continued our epic struggle up to about 130 mph with him being about a half a car front of me. (I was at his door) My friend got this on video and I will add it later if I can.

It was an awesome race, and I give him props for winning. But I already know that it is defiantly not stock. He opened the hood and has a CAI that my friend says is not stock. IDK what the stock pulley looks like, but the one he had looked really small. I also wouldn't be surprised if it was tuned. He bought it used and was adamant that it was stock, but the numbers just don't make sense. I don't think he should have been that fast stock, since other Z06s with my same mods run 11s.

Needles to say, an awesome night. It doesn't get much better than racing a Z06 and GT500 and being within a half a car. Then to top everything off, on my way home I was sitting at a light with my window down. Then the girl next to me got my attention to tell me she liked my car. That always feels good. Its nice to get a compliment from a lady after you put so much work into your car.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:48 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

woh you got beat up a bit eh... lol. waitin on them pictures.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:32 AM
1st Gear Member

well even losing you showed some driving skills staying with the GT500 and it sounds like you had a blast. I was too drunk to be doing any driving after 5pm last night lol.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:36 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
woh you got beat up a bit eh... lol. waitin on them pictures.
lol, a little but its actually a good thing since both cars should be faster than me. Plus I got to beat the GT with nitrous, lol.

Originally Posted by Roachz28
well even losing you showed some driving skills staying with the GT500 and it sounds like you had a blast. I was too drunk to be doing any driving after 5pm last night lol.
Thanks, it was a blast. I got all my drinking done in the morning so I was good to drive at night, lol.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:39 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Gee whiz, golly....that sounds like you had a lot of fun!!!
There....happy now?