VS Cars going head to head!

Manager wants to race

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 10:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Manager wants to race

Alright so i'm sitting at work and my manager comes up and just starts talking about cars, we haven't gotten along well in the past so I was a little confused. He has an 02 VW Jetta 1.8T, I have a 00 v6 camaro, both are bone stock right now. Just wondering how the race would go with your guys extensive knowledge with just about every car so if I could get some info on that, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if he has the upper hand as of right now, what could I put on my car to guarantee the win? The race will either be soon or next spring considering I live in MN and winter is coming. So if it's not this year, i'll have time to put in some work on it this winter. TIA

Old 10-11-2007, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Manager wants to race

He should beat you by a bit.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:55 PM
Fancy Sparkle

he should barely beat you, but only if he gets a good launch. a good intake and exhaust will give you a much better chance of winning.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SilverBullet5

Alright so i'm sitting at work and my manager comes up and just starts talking about cars, we haven't gotten along well in the past so I was a little confused. He has an 02 VW Jetta 1.8T, I have a 00 v6 camaro, both are bone stock right now. Just wondering how the race would go with your guys extensive knowledge with just about every car so if I could get some info on that, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if he has the upper hand as of right now, what could I put on my car to guarantee the win? The race will either be soon or next spring considering I live in MN and winter is coming. So if it's not this year, i'll have time to put in some work on it this winter. TIA
why dont you just race him and find out? If every race was a "guaranteed win" racing would be any fun. theres no point in racing with a guaranteed win, I'd rather look at somthing much better than me and see if I can beat him.

Anyway on to busniess, the 1.8T makes 180 HP at about 5 1/2 Ks rpms and 174 trq at about 2K. DOHC turbo obviously. depending apon weather its a manual or automatic he weights about 3100lbs. Go from a dig, I give you the win, exspecially if your a proper manual. For that matter I give you the win from a roll too. Thats just my opinion, seriously, its a jetta. Usally 16 second cars.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:33 PM
2nd Gear member

yeah go 4rm a dig because his turbo won't be spooling. I would go with 1990camarors advice. The intake and exhaustSHOULD guarantee a win but let us no how it turns out.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:47 PM
1st Gear Member

It's a teeny little turbo, and they are auto transmissions. The turbo is spooling from the get-go. My DD beater is a close race against a V6 Camaro, with the Camaro usually being just a hair faster, and trying to pull one on the highway,a 1.8tjust completely toasted me. I'd venture to say that they are low-15s stock, not low 16s.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:22 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

ORIGINAL: esteinmaier

It's a teeny little turbo, and they are auto transmissions. The turbo is spooling from the get-go. My DD beater is a close race against a V6 Camaro, with the Camaro usually being just a hair faster, and trying to pull one on the highway,a 1.8tjust completely toasted me. I'd venture to say that they are low-15s stock, not low 16s.
its physically impossible for a turbo to be spooling from the get-go

Old 10-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Fancy Sparkle

ORIGINAL: BigNic

its physically impossible for a turbo to be spooling from the get-go
not quite, the new Sky Redline and Soltice GXP have a valve timing system that keeps the ehxaust valves slightly open so the turbo is still spooling just ever so slightly

btw, that's while the car is sitting at ilde, you could be 30 feet away from the car and the turbo would still be spooling

Old 10-12-2007, 02:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Brake torque. Trans holding at 1500 RPM would be enough to spool the turbo.

My MTX spools my turbo at the line without load, but I'm using a 2-step. Lots of ways.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:06 AM
2nd Gear member

the jetta is actually quick, low to mid 15 car stock, a lot of my friends like volkswagons, so i get to hear about it all the time lol

Quick Reply: Manager wants to race