VS Cars going head to head!

How good is the 2.8L in a race?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 07:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default How good is the 2.8L in a race?

I have an auto 2.8L, and i just wanted to know if i could race against a 1.6 vtec civic and have a fighting shot. What cars can i beat?

Old 10-25-2007, 07:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: How good is the 2.8L in a race?

Asking how you would do against a 1.6 vtec is a funny question. It's like asking if you could race against a car. There aren't too many vtecs that haven't been snatched up by 19 year old kids with fast and furious dreams. So you could be talking about a 16 second car, or a 10 second car. And they might look exactly the same from the perspective he'll let you see.

What you need to do is spend the $30 to go run a few times at your local track. Then you'll have a pretty good idea. If you're running 18s, you will lose against pretty much anything. 17s, you get peed on by stock auto cobalts. If you're running 16s, you can fry up some rice, but not much else. 15s, and you're doing well, but still not as quick as the cars that are fast from the factory. 14s, I commend you. Tough to get that kind of power from a 2.8 auto. Keeping up with the big boys (as far as street cars go). 13s, you must be spraying a good amount. Not much you come across on the street will be much faster. 12s, Very quick. Now you're hanging with the vipers and such. 11s, you're playing with the trailered race cars. 10s, the guys bringing the trailered race cars want to know your secrets. 9s, you're probably not driving it on the street at all. And if you are, it's probably illegal as hell. 8s, not much of the car is still the original car. 7s, you're driving a dragster with a camaro shell on top. 6s, you're well over 5k hp, or you have a jet engine attached to the back of your car. 5s, you're not awake right now, so pinch yourself.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:40 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: esteinmaier

17s, you get peed on by stock auto cobalts. If you're running 16s, you can fry up some rice, but not much else.
Acully one time I lost 1st gear off the line and then at the 1/8 cylinder #6 had a misfire so I ran a 17.097 @ 81.4

So he could have beat me that time.

I would suggest some major engine overhual. Even if your keeping a V6, upgrade to the 3.8L. Or you could get an LT1 for a little bit more. These will give you huge gains, and you probly wont be able to match it for the money you will put intothe 2.8.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:20 PM
3rd Gear Member

Get rid of the 2.8 for sure. I don't think they even make performance parts for it. I had a 85 Maro with the 2.8. It was a good car and I had it for 5 years but I wasn't racing anyone with it.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, GM USED to have a build book for the 60degree 6ers, but the 2.8 isn't much more than a boat anchor these days (Don't get mad, I still have one in my Fiero). So, no, not so good for racing. You might be able to handle yourself against a stock civic, but that's pretty much the limit.

OTOH, there ARE some go-fast goodies for 2.8s (and 3.4s) if you know where to look. Crane makes cams for them, high ratio rockers are available, Pacesetter makes headers for the 3.4 (the flange should fit the 2.8, but I don't know about 4th to 3rd gen fitment), and you can get a nice intake for them.

Intake: www.trueleo.com (They also sell headers, but they're for a Fiero)
www.fierostore.com has some stuff for the engine (look under engine, then v6) They sell the high-ratio full roller rockers. They sell a couple of camshafts as well.

You could switch out for the 3.4 from the 4th gens. 3400's from GM FWD cars aren't a direct swap, but the 3.4 (The iron heads are the key) is a direct swap. Most of the go-fast goodies swap between the 2.8 and the 3.4 also. (Cams, heads, valvetrain stuff in general).

Old 10-27-2007, 03:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey "TheStig" you have a Z28 right? did you take off all the badges?I bet that makes one hell'uva sleeper!!! PedalToMetal, I'll sell you a dark metallic purple 96 Camaro 3.8l auto w/ t-tops for $3000. It has 160k on it though and it leaks a little bit of oil. The paint has chips on hood and has some scratches, needs to be waxed but it's 11 years old also. Interior is pretty nice though has a little crack on dash and just a cig burn on the drivers seat.Aftermarket Pioneer DEH P4900ib headunit powering my Bose premium factory system. The car has a 2 month old Magnaflow cat-back system on it, but it needs a new catalytic converter. New front Summit cross-drilled and slotted brake rotors with Hawk Performance ceramic pads. Overall pretty nice car for the money, just want to upgrade to a Z28 w/ LS1. I'm located in Lake Saint Louis Missouri if you are interested.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:45 PM
4th Gear Member

Old 10-27-2007, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Haha my bad, yeah I know dude, thats how desperate I am to get rid of it though.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:14 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: purpl96

Hey "TheStig" you have a Z28 right? did you take off all the badges?I bet that makes one hell'uva sleeper!!!
No sorry, its a 3800. But By january or so it should be a big sleeper. Want to be running 13s by then.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:00 PM
1st Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6-CADcY4KU

No, this is a sleeper.

Quick Reply: How good is the 2.8L in a race?