VS Cars going head to head!

Droped a gto and a 2001 cobra last friday night.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:05 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: Droped a gto and a 2001 cobra last friday night.

i got a question about ur setup... wouldnt an engine tune and performance chip conflict? and you cant chip a 4th gen.....

Old 10-01-2007, 12:10 AM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

honestly i can see the GTO getting droped the ls2 a great engine but the new GTO is a brick with wheels also there tranny has a tendacny to wear from what ive seen but specters right a chip in a 4th gen and a tune.....[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Old 10-01-2007, 12:15 AM
Ninja Administrator

i actually know the answer to that.... ive just seen way too many guys with "performance chip" AND "custom tune" in their sig [&:]

Old 10-01-2007, 12:17 AM
2nd Gear member

hey specter, yours says EGR delete, how do u do that? i only ask cuz mine's been messing up and i don't feel like replacing it. is there a way to just take it off?

Old 10-01-2007, 12:25 AM
Ninja Administrator

yeah, u can just take it right off. I went to home depot and got some 1/8th inch aluminum plate, and cut it to the proper shape to make block off plates for the exhaust manifolds. I used the old gasget as a template. then go to any auto parts store and you can get a freeze plug for the manifold.
Looks like the one on the left
It will just have a nut on top. I cant remember what size I used, I can check tomorrow after class

Old 10-01-2007, 01:05 AM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

yeah, u can just take it right off. I went to home depot and got some 1/8th inch aluminum plate, and cut it to the proper shape to make block off plates for the exhaust manifolds. I used the old gasget as a template. then go to any auto parts store and you can get a freeze plug for the manifold.
Looks like the one on the left
It will just have a nut on top. I cant remember what size I used, I can check tomorrow after class
it also adds no HP at WOT and reduces your gas milage. Sorry I know this has always been a arguable topic, But I thought I'd stick that in there.

But if you do delete it have it tuned out so you dont always have your SES light on.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:31 AM
2nd Gear member

really?? so it doesn't mess up the exhaust flow at all? will the check engine light go off? so you're saying you just basically take it off then cover it up with an aluminum plate bolted on?

Old 10-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Ninja Administrator

the light will turn on because the EGR sensor isnt functioning because you unplug it. As for the usefulness debate..... IF the EGR is closed during WOT then it wont affect WOT performance. I wasnt aware of this however, so i can neither confirm nor deny.........

the EGR works by recirculating exhaust gas through the intake. the idea being to bring you to operating temp faster as well as potentially reuse unburnt fuel that is still in the exhaust thus saving fuel. However, the ammount of fuel burnt is dependant on air density alone ie. your motor has a max amount of fuelit can burn per cycle and this number is proportional to intake air density or total oxygen content, and is not a ratio of total fuel input (this is not totally true, because you will never, even at 20:1 AF, burn all fuel, however, at normal operating AF this is a valid approximation). recirculating unburnt fuel will marginally richen up the chamber A/F which is already at its max efficiency @ the specified MAP. The result is MORE fuel being unburnt (amount normally unburnt @ specified MAP + amount added by EGR (slightly more fuel will be burnt based on the same reasoning as the approximation above but this isnt necessarily a good thing). In principle you would then notice lower gas mileage, but in practice its the opposite. your overall charge is slightly leaner resulting in more power as long as you are within normal ranges. Leaner charges result in higher efficiency (you approach 100% burn the leaner you go, but you also run hotter, its a give and take). you end up using less fuel at cruising speeds because you are not running richer than necessary.

I got about +2-3mpg when I did it going from about 22mpg highway before to as good as 26 mpg which I logged on a trip to nashville at the end of the summer.

This max fuel burn (per unit air density) is why tuning is so important. its not necessary for a small mod like this by any means, but the principle is, no matter how you add fuel, whether it is with EGR, adding via predator, the infamous ls1 "chip", or doing something retarded like putting a resistor in your IAT, IF you cannot maintain a high level of efficiency in the fuel burn you are losing power, mpg, and all around performance whenever the system is active.

To add to this, the added fuel from EGR coupled with the carbon and other "debris" of exhaust would yeild an added burn marginal at best but only if the car was running lean enough to accomodate this extra fuel to begin with. This is because exhaust is mostly CO2, which does not burn

All that being said, the EGR delete will not net any real noticable gains unless you are lucky (a factory tune which responds well to the slightly leaner conditions, my factory tune was F'ed in the A.... running low 11 AF stock, which is why i actually noticed the gains. an individual with stock AF around 13-15 cruising wont really notice anything). I didnt do the EGR delete for performance exactly.... the real reason was I was broke and just needed to tinker with my car [8D]

Old 10-01-2007, 07:25 PM
Ninja Administrator

i guess I should go ahead and say im just giving my take on things, not strying to start anything with ya Stig [8D]

Old 10-01-2007, 07:48 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

that was only your take on thing lord id hate to read you opinion id be here all night

Quick Reply: Droped a gto and a 2001 cobra last friday night.