VS Cars going head to head!

Challenged...finally

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 09:20 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default Challenged...finally

When my car was Bone stock it did a 13.4@102, with a 2.02 60'. My 1/8th mile was 8.73 @82.0mph which is a little slow for a stock ls1 but still not bad for a high mileage car. Last night I went to the 1/8th mile track and ran a 8.53@84.59mph with a 2.06 60'. An 8.5 1/8mile is supposed to be like a 12.9-13.1. Now, I have been claiming my car can do better than 12.8, so when my friend heard this he was happy to tell me my claims have been way to optimistic.

The problem is, my 60' when I was stock was faster because the track prep really sucked at this track. I hate to make excuses when it comes to racing but, there was no place to drive around the water box. So all my launches were either at 1500rpm or spinning through 1st gear.

So, the challenge is for me to run better than a 12.80 on street tyres and I am allowed to add one more bolt on because I was planning on it anyway. We are going to a 1/4 mile track in October and I cant wait to beat this challenge. We will have video. I think I can do it, what about you guys?

I have a '99 LS1 with Lid, LS6 Intake manifold, Hooker Headers & Y-pipe and Magnaflow exhaust. The mod I will be adding is a Under drive pully which should give me 10-15 rwhp.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:30 PM
2nd Gear member

Meh, more like 5-10 horses. But with that and good track prep you'll for sure get the 12.8. What rpm are you shifting at, if you dont mind me asking?

Old 09-13-2009, 10:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by robmnrd
Meh, more like 5-10 horses. But with that and good track prep you'll for sure get the 12.8. What rpm are you shifting at, if you dont mind me asking?
Its an Auto. 5-10 whp is more reasonable.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:02 AM
3rd Gear Member

I think you have a good shot at it, with that 60 foot time the car is picking up down the track. Maybe you could borrow some street slicks for the day, the air in my area has been good cool temps lower humidity a run later in the day may be an advantage. My first reaction would be to take all the weight out you can and run with less than 1/4th tank of fuel I am not sure if this would help or hurt because of the traction issue. We adjust the air in the slicks to help with traction probably wouldnt help with street tires though. Ever try the race gas unleaded? We run a low compression cheapo 350 engine I have no real big improvement when running 87 octane or 93 octane pump gas but I do show an improvement running race gas (leaded) not alot of improvement but it holds our best time(8.17 1/8 th as of yesterday). Also when you stage into the beams just bearly light the second stage the time doesnt start untill you break the beam so you get a little more roll out.

Last edited by GRIFF; 09-14-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:33 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GRIFF
I think you have a good shot at it, with that 60 foot time the car is picking up down the track. Maybe you could borrow some street slicks for the day, the air in my area has been good cool temps lower humidity a run later in the day may be an advantage. My first reaction would be to take all the weight out you can and run with less than 1/4th tank of fuel I am not sure if this would help or hurt because of the traction issue. We adjust the air in the slicks to help with traction probably wouldnt help with street tires though. Ever try the race gas unleaded? We run a low compression cheapo 350 engine I have no real big improvement when running 87 octane or 93 octane pump gas but I do show an improvement running race gas (leaded) not alot of improvement but it holds our best time(8.17 1/8 th as of yesterday). Also when you stage into the beams just bearly light the second stage the time doesnt start untill you break the beam so you get a little more roll out.
The agreement was I have to do it on street tyres, I could easily do 12.6X or better with drag radials. Lowering my tyre pressure does help traction a little. Im going to bring a little air pump with me so I can blow up my tyres before I leave. I would not see any improvement running anything better than 93 gas. Its a stock tune and thats what its tuned for. Thanks for the tips.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:38 AM
3rd Gear Member

I may also try to sneak in some sub frame connectors

Old 09-14-2009, 09:40 AM
2nd Gear member

Yay autos! hahaha. Well, I dunno if it's in your budget, but a mail-order tune could probably make a massive difference. With these bolt-ons, a pcmforless tune could get you another 20 horses across the board. But the main thing is it would raise shift points. I know for lt1's once you get headers on shifting at 6000 becomes pretty much optimal. And all the other breather mods just raise it more. I'd guess on an ls1 with headers and full intake side upgrades, there's a good 400 rpms of possible powerband to play with. But someone could chime in on this one.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Fancy Sparkle

how about you sneak a shift kit in on him or maybe a reverse manual valve body???

Old 09-14-2009, 03:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ok, I ordered a Spohn Torque Arm. Im pretty confident I can do 12.7X on street tyres. My real goal is going to be 12.50s with some DRs. Now have to look for DRs =)

Old 09-16-2009, 02:06 AM
4th Gear Member

I would try to get a tune while you're at it and run open Y at the track :P

Quick Reply: Challenged...finally