VS Cars going head to head!

99 Z28 vs 03 WRX

Old 11-03-2009, 12:46 AM
Default 99 Z28 vs 03 WRX

Me and my roommate have a little contest goin on over whether his 5sp 03 WRX or my '99 Z28 will win in a race. He just got his back from the GST shop in northern california and he basically has a semi-built 05 STI stage 1 engine in his WRX, minus the STI heads and turbo. My Z has stock LS1, auto trans, true duals, rear seats removed and 6pt cage (former track car but returned to stock as far as power goes), battery relocated to rear hatch, with a/c and heater removed. Due to his AWD I won't even try to race him from a dig, but he seems to think that from a 60 or 80 punch that he'll pull on me. I know that because of the auto trans he'll jump out at first, but from the experiences I've had in F-bodies, I highly doubt that he'll hold his lead for long, but then again as I've said before he has a built engine and its been awhile since I've driven my car so I can't be 100% of who will hold the lead until about 130 (when his power starts to wane). So I was wondering if anyone has any opinions, and please try to be as objective as possible, he's my roommate so I'd have to deal with his **** everyday if he actually does take me. I'd appreciate as much input as you can offer.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:44 AM
Overdrive Member

So let me get this straight...your buddy has an 03 WRX with an STi block, but he's still running his stock heads and turbo? Wow, that was a dumb move, let him know that he wasted a decent amount of money for very little gain. After you tell him how he is monetarily asinine, beat his car into the dirt with yours. Buy him a beer and let him know it's all ok and that he should research his mods better next time.

In all honesty your car would be a good match for an STi, which have a significantly better turbo and better flowing heads (not to mention a far superior transmission as far as gear ratios go). His AWD will help him for the first 30 feet and then you should take him...

Old 11-03-2009, 02:25 PM

Well I have no idea why he didn't just go with a full-build engine but his train of thought is well......a little off considering he thinks subes are the best thing since sliced bread. While I wouldn't mind having one for the discipline its built for, I would much rather have an F-Body for a long straight, just can't beat the combination of a good hard-working motor and nice long gears in a stock car. And also he says his car isn't running at full boost, he's pushin about .5 bar right now but I dont know what they push stock or what his will push once it's "tuned". I just want to know if I should maybe put on a few bolt-ons first or if I could just burn him with what I have on him. He keeps tellin me that he's gonna beat me, but then I say how I'm gonna beat him and he tells me I'm comparing apples to oranges, but we all know the golden rule "there's no replacement for displacement" :-)

Old 11-05-2009, 02:49 AM
Overdrive Member

Hahaha...he's not even running 8psi?!?! I have a Subaru that has a pretty large amount of work into it, I really like it, best thing since sliced bread...maybe Even at my altitude I wouldn't even see your buddies Subaru as a challenge. Hell, I would race him in my untuned Subaru and still probably win, especially around a track with my weight advantage. At any rate, like I said before, slap him around, you don't need to worry about it at all...

Old 11-05-2009, 07:48 AM
3rd Gear Member

yer you should do him, i chased a 95 sti with like a stage 2 build runing 1 bar and he pulled a few lengths, remember this was the old lighter scooby.

I also raced a standard 04 wrx in by old 99 bmw 323 (170bhp) and we were about the same but he pulled on me after 125 when my the bm ran out

The camaro will wipe the floor with a scooby 03 wrx with a stronger block ( changed compression???) but runnig 0.5 bar sucks. I'd even go as far to say race from a bog, 0-60 are about the same and the maros auto gears are long and relentless

My pals skyline 2.5 ran 0.7 bar and my maro just edged him after 140mph.

Have fun blowing him away

Last edited by maudyZ28; 11-05-2009 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:14 PM

True, cause one of my buddies in my platoon has a 350Z and my roommate said that he wouldnt be able to keep up with the 350, and from what i've experienced, a lightly modded f-body will take a 350, and mine's not just lightly modded but on a slight diet as well. unless it starts falling apart, i dont think ill worry about it

Old 11-06-2009, 01:41 AM
Overdrive Member

95 STi? That's a Version 1...are you across one of those big puddles? That STi block your buddy has is actually a weaker block. The EJ20G is a fully closed deck motor, the EJ257 STi block is semi closed deck. Nonetheless, the 0.5L increase in displacement and a substantial decrease in boost is going to get him owned. Like I said before, I would take him on in my (stage 10!!!) Impreza as he sits now...and trust me, my Subaru is slower than my Camaro...

Old 11-06-2009, 03:59 AM
3rd Gear Member

man, a stock f body with ls1 will edge a 350Z anyway.

95slvrZ28, what you on about?? puddles?? I live in UK, there must be at least a million old shape scoobies here, ive only ever seen 7 f bodies on the road in 3 years!

Old 11-07-2009, 04:13 AM
Overdrive Member

Ah UK, you guys got all the good STi's
22b's as well...

A stock LT1 fbody will be a good race for a 350Z, any mods and the 350Z is going to be toast though.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:13 AM
Overdrive Member

Ah UK, you guys got all the good STi's
22b's as well...

A stock LT1 fbody will be a good race for a 350Z, any mods and the 350Z is going to be toast though.

Search this Thread