VS Cars going head to head!

95 Z28 vs. 04 STI

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Default 95 Z28 vs. 04 STI

One of my buddies came through town monday to watch the GB-Min game. In the morning we headed out to get breakfast before he hit the road. He has a 04 STI, completely stock. We got 2 runs in. The first was from a dig up to about 70. He took me off the line and I passed him at about 30mph and had about a car length on him by the time we shut down at 70mph. The 2nd run was as we got on the freeway from 30mph up to 100mph. I pulled him immediately and had about 2 1/2 car lengths on him by the time we shut down at 100mph. It was fun because he was convinced he was going to kill me.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:02 PM
3rd Gear Member

Nice kill!

Video?

Old 10-07-2009, 10:13 PM
NOOB
January 2012 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

X2

video or ban!

Old 10-07-2009, 11:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

lol nice bro. Im terrible off the
line but i catch up pretty fast.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:03 AM
1st Gear Member

That's about what I would expect. A good driver can rocket out of the hole in those things, but the same AWD that makes them jump out of the hole also makes them drag like a fat lady's panties once they are rolling.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:54 AM
2nd Gear member

Haha true true. Is there any way to help with that? Some guy around here claimed he had a torque something or other.. and he said it basically was so he could control how much power was going to the front or back wheels, so off the line he had it set for all four, but once he got into second it would switch to rear only.. I had never heard of it but don't know much about ricers so i didn't kick in haha

Old 10-09-2009, 03:35 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by fresnoz29
One of my buddies came through town monday to watch the GB-Min game. In the morning we headed out to get breakfast before he hit the road. He has a 04 STI, completely stock. We got 2 runs in. The first was from a dig up to about 70. He took me off the line and I passed him at about 30mph and had about a car length on him by the time we shut down at 70mph. The 2nd run was as we got on the freeway from 30mph up to 100mph. I pulled him immediately and had about 2 1/2 car lengths on him by the time we shut down at 100mph. It was fun because he was convinced he was going to kill me.
Good kill. And you had him from the start with your mods he should have expected it

Old 10-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Overdrive Member

Sounds like the right outcome, although I would have expected the STi to do a little better. I think your buddy has a bad driver mod. Just don't try to take him in the corners since that is what his car was made to do.

YoungDriver: They have DCCD (Driver Controlled Center Differential) on some STis where you can set the torque distribution either manually or you can let the computer do it. The Lancer Evo has something similar.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:09 AM
2nd Gear member

Haha so really now with that.. AWD's suck to race against.. or is it that good?

Old 10-11-2009, 09:30 AM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

AWD is not that great. After the initial jump the AWD system starts hurting the car by dragging down the drive line. The fact is with a good set of tires and a good rear end it is possible for even mild bolted F-bodys to pull 1.6 60 time easy. That is faster then any stock or even bolted STI or Evo. After the 60 mark the F-body is going to have a huge advantage vs any one of the two since we are making as much power stock NA as they are with boost. And lets not forget our old friend Torque.

Lets also keep in mind we are making power by NA and not from boost. Meaning we dont have to worry about any turbo lag or inconsistency's from temp or humidity problems like some of the turbo guys do.

Long story short AWD is a great system and i love a well built AWD car. However i dont think its gods gift to the automotive industry.