VS Cars going head to head!

95 caprice vs 93 z28 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 07:50 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 95 caprice vs 93 z28 camaro

hey i was curious to know if any one has race an caprice with the lt1 engine before. my brother has a 95 chevy caprice with the lt1. now he claims he race a guy from the light he works with that has a 99 trans am ws6 up to 80mph an the guy was on a car length behind an could reel him in. i do know ls1 is good for top end. so i told if you would have keep going he would have gotten you. any he being a little cocky now thinking he could beat me in a race. i do know his mods are flowmasters, cai, msd blaster coil, and some big 22 inch rims. an he claims the car was a police package. my mods are cai, hooker aero chamber muffler, msd blaster coil, 2200 stall conveter, and shift kit my gears are 2.73s. i

Old 04-22-2008, 08:29 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: 95 caprice vs 93 z28 camaro

I know a few people with these cars, they are not a threat... Done up they can be pretty mean cars, but your power to weight ratio is supurior than his. The 22 inch rims will only slow him down. The only thing that MAY hold you back in a stop light to stop light race is the 2.73's. But from a roll, you'll kill him. I call BS on his beating a WS6, either he has more mods than he is saying, or he raced a V6. THere similar to the 96 Impalla SS, a nice musclular family car... I have beaten them in my GTP, and you should be able to beat my GTP, so I wouldnt worry about it, go race him... THink about it, you have the same engine, similar tranny, only a couple small mods shy, but about 800lbs less weight.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:32 AM
2nd Gear member

Oh, another thing, My dad and GF are both police officers, the " police package " is a modified suspension, stock engine with a chip that cuts the speed limiter and adds about 15 HP. No one believs that, but the " cop package " isnt that fast, yes they were made for cops, but those cars were not built for the high speeds, thats what they made the stangs, vettes and Z28's for. The caprice was a wagon for transporting already aprehended criminals... so dont let that shy you from a race...

Old 04-22-2008, 10:31 AM
In the Staging Lanes

thanks for the advice. yeah i though it was bs too as far as the ws6. yeah he was telling me something about a chip. but i am going to race him.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Ninja Administrator

carguy i dont think he would beat ur GTP, you have 300whp and he is mostly stock ~ 250rwhp maybe.

however, i thought I heard somewhere that the lt1 in the caprice isnt exactly the same as the camaro.... im not sure what the difference was, whether a diff set of heads or something..... or a diff cam. im really not sure, it was mentioned in a thread where someone wanted to swap an impala lt1 into his camaro. anyways, the gist was they arent as powerful. however I dont know this to be true for a fact.

but more to the point yes, carguy is right. you have a better power/weight, better tranny, and really, i doubt the caprice came with much better gears than 2.73 either so that may not be a disadvantage. you should smoke him pretty bad. i also call bs on the ws6 kill. the guy probably didnt know someone would want to race in a family sedan (no offence carguy [8D])

Old 04-22-2008, 10:42 AM
4th Gear Member

pretty sure the LT1 in caprice/impala DOESNT have alluminum heads. and it weighs about 500 pounds more. no doubt, bad *** cars. i'd love a 383 96 impala SS.. but you should win, and i call shenanigens on the WS6 race, unless the WS6 guy spun like a ****.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Ninja Administrator

Old 04-22-2008, 10:52 AM
4th Gear Member

[8D]

Old 04-22-2008, 10:57 AM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

carguy i dont think he would beat ur GTP, you have 300whp and he is mostly stock ~ 250rwhp maybe.

however, i thought I heard somewhere that the lt1 in the caprice isnt exactly the same as the camaro.... im not sure what the difference was, whether a diff set of heads or something..... or a diff cam. im really not sure, it was mentioned in a thread where someone wanted to swap an impala lt1 into his camaro. anyways, the gist was they arent as powerful. however I dont know this to be true for a fact.

but more to the point yes, carguy is right. you have a better power/weight, better tranny, and really, i doubt the caprice came with much better gears than 2.73 either so that may not be a disadvantage. you should smoke him pretty bad. i also call bs on the ws6 kill. the guy probably didnt know someone would want to race in a family sedan (no offence carguy [8D])
I just figured a stoplight drag he may win cause im front wheel drive, and he'll hook better than I would... And whats whit everyone picking on my GTP!!??[8D] Trying to bring me down a peg or two huh? lol... Thats why I got it, sleeper[sm=burnout.gif]

Your 100% correct on the heads issue. But in the Caprice defence the intercepter, ( if his really is ) did have the Aluminum heads on it... same cam same everything as the Z28-TA...but ONLY on the police package...

Old 04-22-2008, 12:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

You are correct!! The LT1 in the Caprice/Impala is only rated at 260hp as compared to the Camaro's 275/285 depending on what year. Also the Caprice/Impala weigh 600lbs more than the Camaro. Advantage=Camaro!!!

Quick Reply: 95 caprice vs 93 z28 camaro