OBDII scaner

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 02:57 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default OBDII scaner

Anyone have one? I am looking for some info/suggestions as I'd like to get one someday.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

What are you looking for? Just to scan for codes? Live sensor data? Do you have access to a laptop?

Old 08-02-2009, 05:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes

really, not sure as to what I would want, but anything that works good and is worth the money is worth a look. I dont have a laptop but I am getting one soon.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:38 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Do you have a car in mind, like a car you already own? Or are you looking for a tool that will work with a lot of different cars.

This is the one I have. It allows me to look at sensor data.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00020BM2S/...l_5yhv73ab3s_e

There are some out there that just let you look at the code itselt. I would say its for beginners. All it will do is save you a trip to autozone. But its cheap
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...9X2XRD7DBJXADK

Old 08-02-2009, 07:00 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

I have the top one. It work for what I need, I can use it in real time as well.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:40 AM
In the Staging Lanes

thanks Gorn, I'll prob get the first one. I would like one that works with many cars as I usually dont keep my cars for more than a year (idk why). I also work on family and friends cars here and there. I wouldnt need a "beginners" one as I am used to learning some complex things. I know some PLC and know some of the programming on the newer presses at work, I can figure out the scan tool lol!

Old 08-03-2009, 11:19 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Scribs
thanks Gorn, I'll prob get the first one. I would like one that works with many cars as I usually dont keep my cars for more than a year (idk why). I also work on family and friends cars here and there. I wouldnt need a "beginners" one as I am used to learning some complex things. I know some PLC and know some of the programming on the newer presses at work, I can figure out the scan tool lol!

These aint no Allen Bradly's Figuring out the scanner is pretty easy. Figuring what the sensor should look like and how that effects how the cars run is what takes the time to learn.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a labtop. Is there software that acts as a scanner? I dont use it often usually the gf uses it will im on the computer lol. She will be mad at me taking it away. "i need the labtop for the car hunny!" lol.

Last edited by Mesosneaky; 08-03-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:10 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Mesosneaky
I have a labtop. Is there software that acts as a scanner? I dont use it often usually the gf uses it will im on the computer lol. She will be mad at me taking it away. "i need the labtop for the car hunny!" lol.
I was going to go that route but I had a car with a check engine lite one and I found the above scanner for like $80. It got the job done. There is a lot of different places to get info. This is one. I also think you can find the cables on Ebay or even make your own.

http://www.aldlcable.com/

Last edited by Gorn; 08-04-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:51 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
These aint no Allen Bradly's Figuring out the scanner is pretty easy. Figuring what the sensor should look like and how that effects how the cars run is what takes the time to learn.
Yeah, mix in some old crap and new and it sucks to learn it all. I had to learn how to run 4 pieces of tooling for a Ford Explorer GOR and then a small press and drill press (that drills 15 holes at once) today. Didnt take long but the one had a very old touch screen, that made it fun lol!! I am also one of few production guys that knows the new tooling we got from Ford for the crosscar (heat/ac duct under the dash of the Ranger). This thing is huge and drills 67 holes in the part.

sorry about the ramble lol. but yeah, I just wanna know why the CEL comes on, after that is more learning lol! I will admit I dont know much, but I enjoy to learn more and more as I can.

Quick Reply: OBDII scaner