Professional Racing NASCAR, Formula 1, Sprint, Rally & Off Road, SCCA Auto X, Le Mans, Pro Stock, Cart, Drag, IROC, etc.

Autocross Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 08:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Autocross Anyone?

Hey.. I was wondering if anyone else here autocrosses their camaro? Ive been into autocrossing for a while and just got my first Camaro.. The other cars I autocross is a 1972 Superbeetle with alot of suspension, and a pretty stock 85 200sx Turbo..

Old 02-18-2007, 09:38 PM
Default RE: Autocross Anyone?

Did you get any info about autocrossing a Camaro?

I just got a 97 Z and I was thinking about autocrossing it but I do not knowwhere to start.

Any info we can share would be great.

Thanks

Old 02-20-2007, 10:52 AM
1st Gear Member

I've been running Autocross for a couple of years now. I haven't done it in my Camaro yet (only had it like 3 weeks to date) but the concepts from the other cars I've done it in should still hold for the most part. (There will be some sticky details for me to work out switching from fwd to rwd, but that's just going to take seat time).

The best thing you can do is just try it. I would go a couple of events and get the feel for your car at the limits like that before you go changing anything. In the Z28, I would expect a lot of on-throttle oversteer I would even expect a fair bit in the v6s in the lower gears, depending on how hard your pushing the car.

Keep your inputs smooth and don't be afraid to hit cones on accident. To shave time you need to get close. Talk to the experienced members there, most likely there will be somebody else who at least has run an F-body, if not currently does who would have some tips.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:33 PM

Can you suggest a website to got to for information on event dates / locations and rules (classes?).

I am in the S.E. Michigan area and I ran 1 autocross fun run many, many moons ago in a buddies brand new Beretta GTZbut I have done nothing since (that should date it! ) and I would love to run again.

Thanks.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:52 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VTXed
I am in the S.E. Michigan area
I'm in mid-michigan (lansing)...let me know if you find anything in the area...I saw a vid on another site where someone autocrossed their maro...looks fun

Old 02-20-2007, 11:57 PM

The only thing I've run across so far is information from theSCCA for autocrosson a national level, nothing that tiesinto anything locally in MI.

There were links to local racing groups but the sites are outdated.

I willpost anything else I run across.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:49 AM

Just ran across this section of the SCCA site that has some beginner information.
http://sccaforums.com/programs/autocross/autocross.aspx

I am still looking for listings of local events and any forums or sites that give some info on setting up Camaro's.

Old 02-25-2007, 03:53 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok, so I have run about five events in the old Camaro.. It is defenitely a good car for it.. It could do with a sway bar and some stiffer spring rates and shocks. Its defenitely nice to have some extra power.. It defenitely moves a whole lot better in the straights than my bug does.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:14 PM
2nd Gear member

i know this is a dead tread, but i'm bringing it back. i have a 97 SS that i'm going to SCCA solo on the 15th of April in the stock class, i've never done it, but it looks SOOOO much fun i'm gonna break the ol maro in and see what she's got.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I just did my first autocross at the beginning of the month in my b/f car and had a blast. I don’t know about doing it in my car though.

Quick Reply: Autocross Anyone?