Northwest WA, OR, AK

Oregon Special Interest group for DMV

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2024 | 10:50 PM
|
Red face Oregon Special Interest group for DMV

Looking to get an Oregon special Interest license plate for my 67 Camaro. I have about 100 miles on in the past 10 years and my registration is due again. What I am looking for is a Special interest group that is approved by the Oregon DMV that can vouch for my car being a Special Interest car. Anyone been through that yet and know of a Group that can sign the paperwork?

Thanks,
Robert

Old 04-25-2024 | 11:43 AM
4th Gear Member

Did the DMV say you had to do this?
I got a classic/collector car plate for my '78 pickup here in Washington that's permanent with no tags required just because it was old enough.
I forget all the rules,basically not supposed to drive it daily just to car shows or test drived when working on it or taking it somewhere to be worked on .
That said the cops don't pull you over asking why you're driving it and even if they did just say you're testing out some work your did on it before going to a show or whatever.
You might contact the Columbia River Camaro Club if you need be.

Old 04-25-2024 | 04:19 PM
|

Yeah, Oregon has so rules but then does not tell you what Special Interest groups are approved.. Thanks for the info, I sent an email to Columbia River Camaro Club via the website.

Old 04-26-2024 | 09:28 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Robert-67
Yeah, Oregon has so rules but then does not tell you what Special Interest groups are approved.. Thanks for the info, I sent an email to Columbia River Camaro Club via the website.
Oregon state (my home state ) is so F'd up anymore.
I'm going through the process of signing up for unemployment there,the web site tells you you have to do this that and the other thing or you may be denied benefits but they don't tell you how to do this that and the other thing.
I explored the FAQ and found nothing useful,I tried calling and the wait time to talk to a human was 2 hours and 48 minutes so I hung up.
What a PITA.
I was working in North Portland going to work as early as 04:30 and not in a great neighborhood so I got my concealed carry licence.
Oregon has no reciprocity so my Washington license was no good there,I could only apply on something like a Monday,Wednesday or Thursday between a narrow band of hours that were different every one of those days.
Good luck and hang around,we'd love to see pics of your car and sharing your experience.

Old 06-11-2024 | 05:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I’m confused. Back when I lived in Oregon (most of my life) it was legal to have a pistol in your cab as long as it was visible. Once I was driving on I-5 and a Stater pulled me over for reasons that ultimately did NOT result in a ticket. As I pulled off, I moved my 41 Mag from the passenger seat to my dash so he would be aware. Throughout our ‘discussion’ he never once mentioned it and wished me a nice day as he walked back to his blue-flashing vehicle.

Has something changed down there? It used to be so civilized compared to our current state…

Old 06-11-2024 | 10:11 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1st Gen
I’m confused. Back when I lived in Oregon (most of my life) it was legal to have a pistol in your cab as long as it was visible. Once I was driving on I-5 and a Stater pulled me over for reasons that ultimately did NOT result in a ticket. As I pulled off, I moved my 41 Mag from the passenger seat to my dash so he would be aware. Throughout our ‘discussion’ he never once mentioned it and wished me a nice day as he walked back to his blue-flashing vehicle.

Has something changed down there? It used to be so civilized compared to our current state…
As far as I know Oregon is still an open carry state ,given the left wing politics somewhat surprising.
I have an Oregon concealed carry license since they do not have reciprocity with Washington or any other state,of course I have Washington as well as Arizona so I'm legal in last I checked 36 states.
In order to get my Oregon I had to show reason why I needed it ,I live just across the border in SW Washington and at the time was working in Portland,I also stated I'm originally from Oregon and have family there I visit and I recreate in Oregon as well.
You can only get an Oregon permit as a non resident if you live in a neighboring state that has a border with Oregon and can show reason to need one.
I got mine in Multnomah County (Portland) and they don't make it convenient,you have to apply in person and they only do it 3 days a week and different times each day.
Once you finally get it you can renew online but that first go round is PITA.
At least it's not as bad as Commiefornia,they have no reciprocity and no non residents can get one,even residents have to jump through hoops.
No open carry either,going into California your weapon must be unloaded and locked in a case out of the drivers reach and the ammo locked in a separate case.
I've been through on my Harley many times and I begrudgingly comply but when we stop and get a room somewhere it all comes inside,I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Old 06-13-2024 | 09:18 AM
|

My Bad, I have the plates now! On the form the are 4 check boxes, I did not see the "(Check one box)" and thought I needed all 4 boxes to get the plates.

Example of form:
This is a Special Interest Vehicle. (Check one box)
1. The year model is at least 25 years old.
2. It has been sanctioned by an established organization as a vehicle of special interest.
• An authorized representative of the established organization must complete the section below.
3. It was manufactured before 1949 or resembles a vehicle manufactured before 1949 and meets the definition of street rod in ORS 801.513. It is not a motorcycle or assembled vehicle.
4. It is a high-mobility multipurpose wheeled vehicle (HMMWV) originally manufactured for military use.