Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Turbo Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 04:57 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Turbo Help

Alright, So I decided I'm looking towards a twin turbo setup.. smaller one and larger one..but I came to thecamaroheroesfor help.It's mostly for driving around town but I love my camaro soIthought I'd do some stuff to it..Ihave a general knowledge of some stuff, but I don't wanna miss anything..

This is all going towards a 97 Camaro RS, but with ALOT of KM's.. and I'm not sure which Twin kit to get or what parts of my car i'll have to change? I'm not sure as to how much horsepower/torque twin turbos would add on. I've heard 50% of stockbut is that single or twin?

I have some of the bolt-ons, like headers, catback, air intake anda new clutch. I hear the engines can handle up to 500+ HP.. so with twin turbo alone I should be fine? Or what would i have to change with that? Plugs? Wires? Need to forge anything? I think my engine was re-built recently but if not would that be necessary? I realize I might have to lower compression as well.

I've heard the tranny should be fairly good, but the drive shaft might need to be upgraded and therear end too.. Is that necesarry or am I fairly safe as far as stock goes?

So I guess my questions are:

1) Would a 97 RS with a couple hundred km's be safe totwin turbo? (One smaller, one larger)
2) Which kit would be best?
3) How much (approx) would this and labour cost?
4) How much horsepower would be gained (approx)?
5) Aside from the bolt-ones and tuning to go with the turboswill my engine need any extra work?
6) Will I need to replace any drive train stuff (Trans, clutch, shaft, rearend)?
7) For the possible engine/drive train upgrades what parts would you recommend and how much approx?
8) Any suggestions for PSI for driving around town so I don't hurt anything but still have tons of power?
9) Will having turbo's get damaged or give me grief during a cold canadian winter or as long as I treat it good am I fine?

Old 02-11-2008, 10:02 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: Turbo Help

you are basically screwed if you think youre gettin away light.

you could do a single kit (a bi-turbo is overkill on a stock motor) and boost about 6psi, but that wouldnt do much for you, maybe give you 25-30% power. but u could do it.

you would be safe as long as the car gets a proper tune. if you dont want to send the car to a shop to tune it u might as well just stick to boltons.

i dont know what the stock injectors are, but you will probably need new injectors, which will come with your kit most likely, and a fuel pump which should also be included. assuming you get a kit for this.

youre lookin at probably $4k when this is all said and done for a very basic kit.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:09 PM
2nd Gear member

So.. basically a single turbo is the best I can do with this car? with 4 grand and a proper tune?

Old 02-13-2008, 02:42 PM
4th Gear Member

with a single turbo @ 6PSI, your looking at a 60HP or so gain.. for that, you may just want to stick to N2O and FULL Bolt ons. spend the rest of that "4 grand" on a engine rebuild, internals, and what not. once thats done, you could either jump way up in the shot of N2O, or go turbo. with intenrals, these engines are good till about 750, or so i've read. but keep in mind, just doing bolt ons, drivetrain upgrades(clutch, gears) and a 100 shot of N2O you should have a 12 second car. if you already have a clutch and full exhaust, and intake, your looking at 300 or so for a axel, 300 or so for rear end gears, and prolly 600 for a 100 shot. maybe even a CAM? but make sure your engine can handle it with high miles.

another choice is to buy a swan racing stroker kit. you'd prolly get to around 2560-275HP, and 300-320 TQ from that. i'd personally love to see this, have never seen anyone do it.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:56 PM
2nd Gear member

Haha wow.. for such small gains with the money, I think I might as well either

a) wait until I can afford to drop a bigger engine in it or

b) wait until I can afford a Z28/SS

Old 02-13-2008, 04:56 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

the aprox equation for any forced induction is 7% of your NA horse power per pound of boost which means on a 3.8 you gain 14 horse per pound of boost aprox. so running 6lbs of boost

14 X
_____
84 horse power aprox.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:11 PM
4th Gear Member

me and specter were close!!! lol, either way, not worth it.

save for a LS1. as badass as it would be to have a 11 or 12 second 3.8, save for a LS1.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:13 PM
2nd Gear member

Haha yeah.. Z28's in good condition are hard to come by here.. and I don't think i've even heard/seen a SS anywhere around here. for sale or even just driven.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:26 PM
4th Gear Member

you have glass packs on your's too huh? i loved the sound of the glass pack for some reason.

you can pick up a 95 or 96 Z28 for around 5-6 grand if you look hard enough. a 97 for like 7, if you sell your's, i'd imagine you could get about 4500 for it. depending upon how many miles alot is, and the condition. to try and get a 98-02 LS1 Z28 though, you're gonna need a bit more cash.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:27 AM
2nd Gear member

Haha yeah, the glass packs sound pretty awesoe. Well I was kind of hoping for a 98-02.. but their so hard to find. The closest are like.. 600+ miles away

Quick Reply: Turbo Help