Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Tuning with Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 04:30 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default Tuning with Nitrous

I was wondering how to tune my set up with Nitrous. If I got a 150 hp Shot of nitrous, how would you control the timeing. I don't want to be running retarted the whole time (hahaha I know it sounds funny). If I have a small base circle power cam, would that have to be changed for a "nitrous" grind? I want a wet system set up. What's the set up for hooking up the fuel side of the nitrous?

Old 10-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Tuning with Nitrous

If you buy a complete kit designed for your car, all that info should come with it, including the hardware for the wet system, and ignition timing control.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:11 PM
3rd Gear Member

Nitrous Express and NOS have the under carb nitrous plate. Yes it comes with the hardware. It sates that the timing should be retarted 1 degree for every 10 hp. But if I adjust the timing with the distributor, then my overall timing would be off. How would I change the timing ONLY when the nitrous is applied? I was wondering what ignition box would be able to retard timing only when nitrous is applied.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:05 PM
3rd Gear Member

Norm, A friend of mine runs three stages on a 588 sharoff engine If you hadnt figured it out yet I can ask him for ya. He has a 82 z it is nearly in the 7 second range 170 mph stock bodied car.

Old 10-29-2006, 12:27 AM

ORIGINAL: shnormo

I was wondering how to tune my set up with Nitrous. If I got a 150 hp Shot of nitrous, how would you control the timeing. I don't want to be running retarted the whole time (hahaha I know it sounds funny). If I have a small base circle power cam, would that have to be changed for a "nitrous" grind? I want a wet system set up. What's the set up for hooking up the fuel side of the nitrous?
First ya want to retard the timing about 2 degrees for every 50hp, a more agressive tune would be 1.5 degrees for every 50hp but start slow an work up till your mph on the track drops off then retard 2 degrees an your set. Set timing the same way on motor only first then tune for nitrous. The way I retard timing is with a MSD 8975 multi-stage retard box, it has provisions for 4 stages of spray but will work on just one, also a start retard of 5-10-15 or 20degrees. It wires in with my MSD 6A an uses a ground wire to activate the retards. I use timers(NOS15838) to activate each stage. The timers have a ground system I route the retard box wires through an it retards automatically as each stage is hit. If you run just a 150 shot single stage, you can wire your nitrous wide open throttle switch through a relay an run the retard box ground wires through that relays ground also, then as you floor the throttle the nitrous activates an the timing is retarded at the same instant. Lots simpler than it sounds once ya wire it up. If you young guys can wire up these huge sound systems you can wire a nitrous system too! You need 5.75-6.25lbs of constant fuel pressure to run a plate or fogger witha carb system, even my Z28 still runs 6.25lbs of flowing pressure when in use. Run a 3/8minimum line ( for big power use a 10AN line) from your fuel tank or cell up to the engine bay to a fuel pressure regulator, run one side to your carb an the other to your fuel solonoid, hook up your nitrous bottle an solonoid an thats about it for a small single system. There got to be something I forgot here so ask away.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:04 AM
3rd Gear Member

da Z28 Thanks for coming to the forum and welcome aboard!!!!

Old 10-29-2006, 02:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

Norm, Do what Z28 Pete said and get a kit designed for Your car. daZ28 is on the money with all of His answers. Understand that NOS is an additional air ( oxygen ) supply and must be compensated with the proper amount of fuel to keep up with that additional O2. Doing that is the key to not hurting parts.

Old 10-31-2006, 01:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Norm, as z28 stated, there are companies that make controllers for this application. You are absolutely correct to not want to run your timing retarded the entire time in preparation for the nitrous shot. Reality is, you aren't going to need that timing taken out of it until you push the button. Just research a few companies, I know MSD does it so I am sure there are a few others.

Old 10-31-2006, 01:49 PM
3rd Gear Member

Thanks much appreciated.