Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Trying to think ahead

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Default Trying to think ahead

I've had my car for a little over three years now and haven't ever really had the money to do any major mods. But, I've switched jobs to long haul trucking and my financial situation is looking incredibly bright so I figure the time is now. I've got a 95 z28 with an automatic(my job revolves around shifting, so sometimes it's nice to just sit back and let the car do the work). The plan for now is to rip out the old, tired LT1 and transform it into a new, powerful 383. I'm also going to rip out the tranny and beef it up, and replace the stock rear end with something alot tougher. Than of course throw in sub frame connectors, new suspension, bigger brakes. I'm planning on going overkill because down the road I want to supercharge my car and not have to worry about running to much boost(thinkin like.... 10 psi or a little more). Haha my biggest problem is I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to mechanics, but that's why I joined camaro forums. So, my first question is when i do my rebuild, obviously forged internals are a must, but what about the compression when it's all said and done? If I want to run with 10-14 psi what compression should I be trying to achieve, and are there any disadvantages with having lower compression when I might not install a supercharger for probably another year and a half? I'm hoping to get about 350 hp to the wheels after my stroker rebuild with new heads and hopefully a decently lumpy cam. Any suggestions on what heads and cam to go with that will keep my compression low? I know I can't go to extreme with my cam because I want to keep my stall down so it's still pretty streatable. Thanks for any help.