Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

nitrous and hyperutectic pistons

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 01:26 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default nitrous and hyperutectic pistons

i know it isn't much but how much can hyperutectic pistons handle when it comes to nos in a sbc 355

Old 12-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Default RE: nitrous and hyperutectic pistons

I can tell you that we had a 1989 IROC that we sprayed 150 shot on for about 3 1/2 years of racing, ( approx. 80 bottles) with no damage to the pistons. We never tryed any more than that, so I really can't entirely answer your question. I do know that when a hyperutectic piston reaches its failure point it disentigrates into very small pieces all at once unlike a cast or forged piston that will crack or break into chunks.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:41 PM
1st Gear Member

You might try the below link some of the tech articles might be helpful...

http://www.kb-silvolite.com/index2.php

Greg

Old 12-20-2006, 01:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

thanks for the help guys so you say you had hyperutectic pistons for three years and never had a problem somebody told me all i had to do was increase the top ring gap to .033 does this sound about right to you guys like i said i know my way around a small block i just never used nos before

Old 12-20-2006, 07:28 PM

The 89 car ran a nos wet plate kit and we used a second fuel pump that came in when the nitrous was activated. The short block was stock, (never even had it out of the car). As long as you run them a little fat on the fuel tune and keep your timing conservative the hyperutectics will live

Old 12-21-2006, 05:34 PM

do any of you think that a 150nitrous sys. that basicly is just for looks ( meaning used only once in a while) in a 355cid , 4340 fordged crank /recond.stock rods, S.P. Hyper.pistons Clevit -H bearings is worth the cost and since most here are O.K. with Nitrous and hyper pistons.
Engine is built ,looking hard at NOS?

thanks y'all

Old 12-21-2006, 05:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

You do want a slightly larger ring gap withforced air inductionand or nitrous. It will create more blowby, but when everything is superheated, it will expand and seal better.

ORIGINAL: hotrodguy1986

thanks for the help guys so you say you had hyperutectic pistons for three years and never had a problem somebody told me all i had to do was increase the top ring gap to .033 does this sound about right to you guys like i said i know my way around a small block i just never used nos before

Old 12-21-2006, 10:55 PM

bigger ring gap? OK if the ring gap the std. .30 over you get with a new set of pistons??
and we only use the lower setting, on the nitous kit 75,125 ,150, 200 hp
my real goal is to build this Camaro for wife, daughter,granddaughter
I know this sounds a little silly, but thats the deal. want a good running Camaro that
can be pumped up when they want show off a little.other then that going over the whole car ground up am not looking huge horsepower out of the 355 -fordged crank,recond. steel rods , S.P. Hyperu. pistons ClevitH bearings,steel roller rockers 1.52.1,Crane 4340 push
rods, 268h Comp.Cam -hi-po lifters,, gear drive time, two timing cover,Milling Z28 oilpump, oil panis a kick out baffels and trap door 71/2"Qt.,GM windage tray,block is aline honed deckedand race prepped. using chevy 487x 2.02 heads with guides, screw in studs& polylocks . Air gap intake & Holly S/A 670 carb. brass freeze plugs and pipe tap oil gallery plugs NOW with all thatcan I use the nitrous 125 HP set up
thanks ,reallyoldguy

Old 12-21-2006, 11:28 PM
Tech Droid

If the pistons are 30 over you need rings that are also 30 over. The ring gap should always be checked before assembly as the last thing you need is for the rings to expand enough to bind and damage the pistons and cylider wall. The nitrous will generate a lot more heat and pressure inside the cylinder, and all the extra heat and pressure hits the top ring. As Norman mentioned, the top ring gap should be set around 0.030" bigger than normal to allow for the extra expansion. The blowby will not be that bad if the rings are installed and the gaps staggered properly.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:46 PM

z28pete, the sealed power pistons came as a set pistoms are the coated ones and the ring set thatcame in thebox, these pistons are .30 over as are the rings -do we now pull the pistons and file the rings to a larger gap ?- guys understand i'm new to nitrous. I worked as a GM mach. in dealerships for years. and raced back in the 60s-70's but out of cars for many years.
I do know my way around a wrench on them old cars. and this78 Camaro has been in the barn since 1983. Idid most ofengine building onour race team . but sure as monkeys live
trees. engine building has gone right by doing 90mph.
so can understand what you guys are saying -just a little slow in the old brain pan???
need all the HELP I can get
Thanks, reallyoldguy

Quick Reply: nitrous and hyperutectic pistons