Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Need help with NOS

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 01:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Need help with NOS

I am looking at purchasing a complete wet NOS kit that is the Nitrous Express with a 150 shot. It comes with all the sylenoids, cables, 15lb bottle, arming switches, bottle heater, and guage for the bottle. My questions to everyone is this, is NOS worth the money and if so which system is better wet or dry? How do you tell which sytem it is? Sorry if I sound dumb I just have never used it before. I can get the setup for $250 and the guy is a mechanic and will install it for free. Please leave me some suggestions. The last question would be would this hurt my engine I have the best of everything in the bottom half? Thanks to all your help.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:06 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Need help with NOS

ORIGINAL: bjames5

I am looking at purchasing a complete wet NOS kit that is the Nitrous Express with a 150 shot. It comes with all the sylenoids, cables, 15lb bottle, arming switches, bottle heater, and guage for the bottle. My questions to everyone is this, is NOS worth the money and if so which system is better wet or dry? How do you tell which sytem it is? Sorry if I sound dumb I just have never used it before. I can get the setup for $250 and the guy is a mechanic and will install it for free. Please leave me some suggestions. The last question would be would this hurt my engine I have the best of everything in the bottom half? Thanks to all your help.
Yes if you want to go fast for cheap nitrous is the way to go, it is as safe as any other power adder, if you are smart about it.
Neither is better they are just different, Wet uses a solinoid to provide the fuel enricment, dry uses the cars fuel system to provide the added fuel. Some will argue that wet is safer but remember that newer intake manifolds were never made to flow liquid, only air, so you need to be sure to never spray below 3500 rpm or the fuel might puddle. You also have to be carefull with a dry kit, if the fuel system on the car fails, bad things can happen. If you get all the saftey devices (window switch, fuel pressure saftey switch etc) you should be fine. If you do buy a used kit you should rebuild the solonoids.

Old 03-03-2006, 09:41 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the guidance. I have been looking into and it looks like I will get it put on Monday. The guy raced at the track and used the rest of the NOS but I can get it refilled at about $47. So I take it you are satisfied with your system? Once again thanks

Old 03-03-2006, 08:03 PM
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the guidance. I have been looking into and it looks like I will get it put on Monday. The guy raced at the track and used the rest of the NOS but I can get it refilled at about $47. So I take it you are satisfied with your system? Once again thanks
I have been running nitrous on cars for nearly 15 years, so yea I like it $47 seems pretty high, is it a 10 lb bottle? You should only be paying at most $35 for a 10 lb'er, around me it's like $2/lb

Old 03-04-2006, 10:46 AM
In the Staging Lanes

It comes with a 15lb bottle. Will I need to upgrade my ingintion? I have been doing some research and it recommends a MSD digital 6. Do you have anything that retards your timing as well?

Old 03-06-2006, 07:56 PM
4th Gear Member

It comes with a 15lb bottle. Will I need to upgrade my ingintion? I have been doing some research and it recommends a MSD digital 6. Do you have anything that retards your timing as well?
the timing in my LS1 can be done with a timing controler, however I really don't need to retard it on mine because I only run a 100 shot max on that car, and use race gas with a colder plug for safty.