Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

LS1 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 04:26 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default LS1 turbo

Hi, im thinking about a bit of FI for my LS1 as it seems to be the more economical power adder and i can do it for the same, or less than a heads/cam package as i live in UK and can get universal parts here. I am able to custom make the piping etc so that is not a problem but id like suggestions on the turbo size. It will be a stock internal LS1 so only 5-6 psi boost is ok with tuning?, also are there head gaskets i can get to lower compsession without going forged?

Old 11-09-2009, 09:57 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

Your A4 transmission and 10 bolt rear will go before you hit a power limit on a stock bottom LS1. Most guys agree that the LS1 hits its FI power limit around 500-550 crank horse power. Not to say there are not a few of us pushing that limit a little further . But at that point you are walking on egg shells.

If you are doing a budget build i would go with a 72 or 76 trim and a good intercooler maybe with snow or alky control as a extra safty to keep IAT's down (but with a good intercooler system it is not a must)

With a 72 or 76 you should be able to make some good numbers with no problem and still be able to run 7-8 Psi on pump gas with a good dyno tune. The one weak point for the LS1 is not the head gasket but the freaking pistons tend to fail where the piston and rod connect. This is due to fuel building around the rings and then detinating due to a bad tune, too much timing, or too much boost. This will cause detination and crack the piston at the pin.

I would not go any smaller then a 72 trim on a budget build you will have great top end and pre boost will drive just like a stock LS1 untill you steep on it. Going smaller to a 60 or 67 will limit you a lot of top end and you could have IAT issues with the smaller compressior.

Of course STS is the cheapest kit out there and you can find or copy there set up a lot cheaper then some of the others out there. Being a rear mount kit you can get away with buying things like the scavanger pump and mounting parts and fabing the rest yourself to save some big cash.

If you dont want to go the rear mount way. Be ready to dump some big money into here. Your going to need at least some good injectors and fuel pump. Keep the factory MAF, TB, and LS1 intake if you still have them. Upgrading on a mild FI aplication is just a waste of money and the best MAF you can have is a factory one.

With the 12 bolt and built 4L60 i am making around 570 at the crank on my stock bottom with a little over 102,000 miles on her. She has had three nitrous kits and i would say 50 track passes since i have owned the car and i still drive her at least two or three times a week to work.

I took the turbo path because i wanted somthing a little diffrent then your normal Procharged or vortec car. And the sound is amazing i still get people asking what exhaust sytem i have. As far as being driver friendly my car drives a lot better then some of the higher HP SC cars i have driven and pre boost the car still gets about 20MPG

You may still want to do a small FI cam with good valve springs to help prevent boost bleed off as well if you do go FI.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes

that's a nice write up....

Old 03-16-2010, 05:37 PM

Very good info......