Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

getting turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 01:02 AM
Default getting turbo

hey, im new here and to cars mostly

i have a 1999 Z28 Camaro and I was looking to give it turbo and i jus have a couple of questions,
how much does a decent one usually go for?
are there different types? and if so any recommendations?
and where can i get one?

thanks for the help!

Old 08-30-2007, 10:22 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: getting turbo

ebay has good kits, also just google it. Your problem is gonna be the compression ratio of the motor. A turbo works best around 8.5:1 and your car is closer to 10.5:1 so its gonna need some work internally, which will be expensive to do. I would say the internal parts and labor will run around 2500-3000 dollars. then you have to buy the kit, another 2 grand. If you dont know how to properly tune the motor for optimal power off the turbo, there goes another 400 for a guy to do that. You also would need to get pipe bent to your intake, thats another couple hundred. its not gonna just be ****s and giggles putting that in, but it will be worth it when its said and done imo

Old 08-30-2007, 07:03 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome to the forum.I dont like the ebay kits but thats just me. As stated above The ls1 is a high compression enigine and doesnt handle heat good. A good tune is a must even at lower boost. Internal work is not a must for low boost. Turbo might not be the best way to start out for your f-body. Traction is going to be a isue and its going to put alot on the motor, trany, rear, etc. It depends on what you can speed and what you want. A turbo is going to have alot of up keep behind it plus your talking about 3 to 5 grand just for the turbo and install. Headers, intake, exhaust, MAF, Tunerandmild gears will runyouinstalled and withtuningaround probaly run you around 3500 bucksandwould put you well into themid 12s with good ruber and would make you more than a match for a LS2 vette. This would give you a good base to work off of latter on if you want to go bigger and faster down the road. You could make the same times cheaper by going to higher gears or a big cam or nitrous but thats up to you 3.73s are a good mild street gear. 4.10s if you dont mind spending some cash on fuel. [sm=signs003.gif]

Old 09-08-2007, 03:22 PM
4th Gear Member

why do all noobs say turbo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! go buy a honda.

you need to supercharge that bytch!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-08-2007, 04:11 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

well bro you gonna be talking about some serious power with a turbo in a ls1 and as repeadly stated about changing your compression will be the biggest issue youll probly spend more on the supporting mods for the turbo than the turbo itself and as cbrx state for much less cash you could do cam full exaust top to bottom heads that kinda thing and make as much or more power and you car would not be as likey to blow up ......beyond all that you have a LS1 if your "new to cars" id say ajust to the 300+ horse power first and if you feel you really nead more than that go for it

Old 09-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Tech Droid

ORIGINAL: bluovlh8er

why do all noobs say turbo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! go buy a honda.

you need to supercharge that bytch!!!!!!!!!!
They just don't realize what a proper turbo installation entails. They just hear the word turbo and go gaga. LOL

Old 09-09-2007, 02:32 PM
4th Gear Member

lol, i just think it sounds dumb. its like this, "hey i just got a v6 camaro. i know nothing about cars and wal-mart does my oil changes, im putting a turbo on this weekend."

Old 09-10-2007, 12:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

A SC is almost cheaper on the long run...

Old 09-11-2007, 09:44 AM
2nd Gear member

turbo really is better imo, it does not rob power from the motor to turn like a S/C, and while there is lag, the new ball bearing types have almost no lag (expensive as hell too). Also, turbos can build more boost and power, why do you guys think Lingenfelter and Kirbeck and all the other corvette guys use them. Also, and this may sound dumb, but I just like how they sound more than a s/c at idle the s/c sounds badass, but goin down the street, a twin turbo setup runnin high boost is just scary sounding.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:01 PM

actually, you can run a turbo with a high compression engine. but it's kind of an either or situation. you can either have very low boost with high compression, or you can have low compression, with high boost. actually with a LS1 camaro, a single turbo would really act as a good auxillary unit. What i mean is, You already have the low end with the pushrod V-8, a big turbo (cause the bigger the turbo, the more boost lag)that would kick in at the higher end would do really well. With a high compression motor, i'd say you could probably run 2 pounds of boost safely. but i agree that unless your really serious about speed and power, an NALS1 camaro with mild modification would be fine for you.

Quick Reply: getting turbo