Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Any advise. Turbo and NOS. Is it to much? Is it Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 08:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Any advise. Turbo and NOS. Is it to much? Is it Possible?

I will be getting a 00-02 Z28 or SS again and wanted to modify and add a turbo. Question is could I use a lil shot of NOS incase for some reason the turbo isnt enough? Or is that to much?
Then again. I dont want an all out drag car. I want to start drifting again and dragging. but want to have it as a daily driver or just another car also. Any pros or cons about this? Just getting advise on this situation. No plans just yet.
Most of corse is for performance but it would be cool to purge your NOS on someone at a red light. Lol
Any advice?

Old 02-19-2007, 02:22 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Any advise. Turbo and NOS. Is it to much? Is it Possible?

drifting??? yea...

you can run N20 w/ a turbo...

Old 02-19-2007, 07:28 PM
2nd Gear member

A little NOS ( a 50 shot) often really helps with a Turbo or SCr it cools the intake air and adds a shot of power.

Something to be concerned about is that you can blow up the stock lower end on an LS engine if you go much over about 450 RWHP. We blew ours with about 500 RWHP (it really came apart, too, wow!) and I've had two other friends with blown and NOS LS1s or LS6s that did fine at 425-450 RWHP, but had the engine shatter in just a week or two after going upwards of 475.

If you are going to use the power often I would advice rebuilding the bottom end with aftermarket forged internals, etc.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Wow. Thanks for the story and good example. So add to list of things to do: rebuild bottom end with forged internals. Thanks a lot.
But basically 450 horses is pretty good? Right?
The most I have under my belt is a GTO LS2 400 horses. Ive never drivan anything stronger than that.
In drifting, isnt there a limit to the max horse power you can have?
Or does anyone know those rules?

Old 02-19-2007, 09:26 PM
2nd Gear member

I don't know the rules, there are probably classes and limits. When you build the engine, you might consider getting a case iron block instead (90 extra pounds, but bulletproof). If you have the budget, an assembled short-block stroker is the way to go because the added cubes give you more low end torque and you can let the turbos give you power. I'd recommend Eagle components -- strong as hell but heavy, but weight is sort of an asset when you want drop the clutch to make the tires spin, etc. -- and Eagle parts don't cost and arm and a leg. We have a cast iron LS6 block 408 built but Horsepower Engineering in our car now. Good motor.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

So cast iron block, is that a different block than comes with the normal LS1 in the Z28s from 98-02? Isnt the LS1 in the Zs aluminum? So Iron block to be stronger. Cool beans.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:20 PM
2nd Gear member

You can buy a cast iron version of the LS6 or LS2 blocks -- its the block used in the Silverado and so forth. It weights about 90 lbs more than the aluminum block, but it is just tough as nails. You can also bore it 30 over (I know someone who did 40 over) and get a handful of extra cubic inches, too. You cannot bore the alunimum engines. All the LS1, 2, and 6 components you would expect to fit in the aluminum block will fit, no problems.

This is the block we use in the Camaro, which takes tremendous strain with 500+ RWHP normally aspirated and monster shots of NOS.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:02 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thats sounds good. I do want to have a good amount of horsepower like you guys are running. Thats why I wanted to buy an V6 camaro and drop an LS2 and re doo the rear end with a mosier set up and some new axels and a new suspension. I know I will need the tranny to. So Should I buy just the Iron Block and just build it up from there with the new internals? I wan to have a sweet ride. Its not going to be an over night build but its a car I will work on for the rest of my life or as long as I have it. I love the car. Well, the one I wrecked anyways. Now Thats why Im trying to figure out what I should do this time. Since I am planning on getting a new suspension and a new exhaust and axels and all that, and I want a good strong engine, should I get a V6 and just swap everything out since the car will be cheaper?

Old 02-22-2007, 07:26 PM
2nd Gear member

It would probably pay you to get a copy of GM High Performance magazine and contact some of the engine builders and suppliers advertising there. Some of them offer pretty inexpensive but strong built up iron block engines. We bought our 408 LS6 shortblock with all Eagle components from Horsepower Engineering in Houston for around 3500$.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:47 PM
1st Gear Member

^^^ Good suggestion about contacting other engine builders and GM high performance magazine.

I really don't think it's the best idea in the world to use your daily driver as a drag/drifting car, honestly. A thing people often don't realize about using a car to drag race and beating that hard, is that people who really take it to the max and straight up drag race, have to rebuild their motors and do extensive mantainence on a common basis. You can't just run nos with a turbo, pushing the car to it's max, and then drive it home an hour later like nothing happened every night. You car will give out on you, it's too much. You gotta make a choice. I've heard of people doing moderate drag races, occasionally, and having it as the daily driver but to use the car for daily driving, dragging, and drifting, it's just a bit much.

I would also read up on how much engine internals you'll have to reinforce/install to even be able to support that much hp without your car dying.

Just do as much research as you can and good luck.

Quick Reply: Any advise. Turbo and NOS. Is it to much? Is it Possible?