New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

What to look for ,94 3.4 litre

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 09:05 AM
Default What to look for ,94 3.4 litre

I'm looking at a the above which supposedly has 40K on the clock. The car is fairly cheap - it's on UK plates and sitting in Spain - and with fuel prices here!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway I may have to buy sight unseen - what questions should I be asking and what is most likely to go wrong - there will be something that is for sure. Appreciate any help you can give me - a search of the archives didn't help too much - or maybe I need pointing to the search words to use.
Thanks

Old 12-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: What to look for ,94 3.4 litre

well that is pretty low miles for a car that old, but i would try and check it out and jumping on it.With any car things could go wrong, but if youre that worried have a local mechanic look it over.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Alih

well that is pretty low miles for a car that old, but i would try and check it out and jumping on it.With any car things could go wrong, but if youre that worried have a local mechanic look it over.
No way I can locate a local mechanic - I'm in Finland the car is in Spain. But i'm not a bad mechanic - I've kept my hands dirty for 30 years or so on MG's and Jags. I really just need to know what to look for ?

Old 12-15-2008, 02:12 PM
2nd Gear member

I'd personally not jump ona 3.4. Try fora 3.8 if your set ona V6 Maro.

3.4's are really strong motors a buddy of mine had his up to 205K+ miles and the thing was stolen.....

Old 12-16-2008, 02:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Redneck97

I'd personally not jump ona 3.4. Try fora 3.8 if your set ona V6 Maro.

3.4's are really strong motors a buddy of mine had his up to 205K+ miles and the thing was stolen.....
Thanks for the advice - I had heard the motors were pretty strong but it's good to get some confirmation. However these cars are not at all common this side of the pond and this one is fairly cheap. Basically the guy has it on UK plates in Spain and technically it can not be driven - although many do similar and get away with it.

What I was looking for was more akin to the problems some of the "Quality" European car manufacturers got hit by in the early '90s when they all put through model
changes using "technology" changes. So the 3 series BMW had problems with water pump impellers breaking up, plastic components of the coolant system cracking
and of course there was the Nikasil problem - unique to BMW, Jaguar and Porsche. They did away with steel liners in the alu blocks using a plating instead - was fine
unless used with fuel with a high sulphur content. Cost the manufacturers a fortune in replacement engines. So I was wondering if there was anything similar I should
be looking for.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:30 AM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum... Welcome to the Forum!