New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Strong advice for a strong car

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 07:28 PM
Default Strong advice for a strong car

1986 Camaro with a 305 that is borred to a six banger. Yeah, its weird that its such a big six, but that is how I bought it. 700R4 in it.
Anyway, anyone have any good suggestions and places to get a new rear end and is a 4:3 ratio a good way to go? Thinking of getting a richmond gear set and rebuilding the rear. Mind you it still runs and lifts the front end up a lil, but theres a whine when in car is over 55 mph. Checked the u joints. Brand new and straight as an arrow. Anyone use black RTV instead of the stupid felpro gaskets for the tranny pan?

Old 12-20-2007, 01:52 AM
April 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: Strong advice for a strong car

What are your engine mods? does that six make so much power you have to start with a rear end first? what does it run at the track? Have you had it dynoed? And what is your goals with the car? Track only? Street? Both? We can know a little more in what direction you need to go if we knew what you wanted out of your car.

And while I am welcoming you aboard, keep in mind that in a forum like this , compared to the "outside" world, the word "strong" is redifined. My car makes 470 at the wheels which is about 520-530-ish hp at the crank, and I don't think it's strong cuz many in the Fbody world have 400+rwhp cars, so its common. Plus I have been in a 408ci 650rwhp car and to me THAT is strong, at least for my taste. My buddy in Victoria, is obsessed with getting his car near 1300hp with his 454 LSX...that is ridiculous! While "strong" is a matter of opinion..... in this place...it takes on a whole new meaning!

So welcome aboard...good luck and proceed with caution

Old 12-20-2007, 05:46 PM

Well, lets see, last time I had it dyno-ed, a friend did not bolt it down like I asked him to so the rear jumped off the track, but when we got it right, it was pulling375 hp at the wheels. sorry if the word strong left you a little touchy. Tampons can fix that right up. <just joking> But seriously, I brokea spur somewhere in the differential and I am having a tough time finding a good rear end replacement. Thats why I am only pulling 375 hp. It seems that that is a common occurance with Camaros, as I went to the boneyard and found out. She still runs, just I want to get a new rear end and I will go from there. Used a Hughes performance kit for the Tranny rebuild a few years back, other than that, there is nothing special out of the street car except for careful calibrations and considerations for air/fuel ratios, a 36 lbs injector system and crane cam rebuild. But its a great work in process as a hobby. Thanks for the reply and thanks for the welcoming committee.

PS tell your buddy that hes close. A friend I knew stuck a 454 in a 65 Nova and last we check before he ran out of gas, it was pulling 1350 hp and ran an 8.5 on the track.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:13 PM
April 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

That is alot of power at the wheels for any N/A six regardless of size, you're basically making more with a couple of things than fully bolt on LS1's (and mild cammed auto's)which usually make 350-370. What about heads, headers? That must be a nasty cam... do you know the specs? And Yes rear ends taking a dump is very common so are clutches.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:37 PM

Well, its a .480 in ratio for the cam and the headers are just the ole hooker headers attached to a 3.5 inch downpipe. No catalytic converter, just a 3.5 inch pipe and a shell where the cat should be, with a flowmaster exhaust. Nothing special. I should be pushing more, but I need to find the time and recommendation for a good rear end kit. No rev limiter in the car either. Its funny, it idles at 700 rpm andwhen some riceboy is feeling squirrelly,they dont realize that when I rev to 4000 rpm its too late to read the rear license plate. I am thinking on a Strange3.43 differential to attach on the rear end to make things quite.