New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

possible new face around here

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 09:44 PM
Default possible new face around here

Hey all, I might be lurking around here in the near future for some car-related help.

My old baby, 1994 ford probe GT, bit the dust recently and I've been searching around for a replacement. One car I ran accross recently that got me intrigued is a 1994 Camaro convertible automatic with about 200k miles. The guy is putting it on his lot for about $2600. The outside is in near perfect condition, and the only interior issue seems to be that the drivers seat has seen better days. The engine, however, is an unknown to me. He claims that the mechanics accross the street from him said the motor is in real good condition given the number of miles. I'm going to be going by tomorrow and taking it for a test drive and getting it scheduled in to a mechanic I trust to make sure I'm not getting taken. If everything checks out I'll more than likely be getting it due to necesity and a little help from this forum. I was really looking for another manual, but after reading the general consensus that the auto is better, at least for the z28, I decided that I could probably settle with an auto.

I wouldn't mind any pointers on what to look for, listen for, etc.

I can already tell that this place is going to be just as helpful and friendly as probetalk is for probers. Too much info and enough people to help newbs sort through it all.

Thanks

Old 07-08-2007, 11:14 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: possible new face around here

not too many convertibles on here.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:16 PM
June 2007 ROTM

way too many miles! I wldnt touch that car with miles like that. And the cost to rebuilt the motor is pricy say ur cash man.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:42 AM

The miles do concern me, but given that $3k is my top range, most of the cars i'm looking at are already above 170k. If the motor is in as good a condition as the outside is, then it should run strong for a few more years.

The guy seems willing to let me take it to a mechanic to get an unbiased opinion, and so far my mechanic hasn't screwed me over, so if it checks out with him it makes me feel better about considering it. And if it does check out mechanically I'm going to get a carfax report of it to see how it's history looks. Then, once I get all that done I will decide whether or not to actually purchase it or to pass and wait for something better.

I'm probably going to be parting out the old probe (only because I can't find another one locally), as well as sell a couple things on ebay so who knows what I'll be able to find once I get a little more cash to use.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:32 AM
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to the forum and good luck, I agree with Blade...don't touch that, too many miles. Might sound good now, but give it a bit and...part after part or the engine pops. Or, you could luck out, see what your mechanic thinks.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:42 AM

I'll more than liekly have to drop consideration due to insurance, i've just wanted a camaro for years and this is the first one i've been able to find. If I had things my way my first car would have been an 1992 RS T-Top (this was about 5-7 years ago). So if I passed this up I might have been kicking myself.

The mechanic looks at it today, and i'm kinda hoping he finds something that is seriously wrong with the car because the miles is about the only thing i'm truely concerned about and I'd like a reason other than insurance to not get the car.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:17 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

That is alot of miles. However, if the PO took really good care of it, regular scheduled maintanance or recent rebuild it might work out for you. If you were a regular here and mechanically inclined then it wouldn't be as risky. I would go with the others here and try to steer clear of it for now unless you are prepared to learn ALOT more about the car than you might be able to afford.