New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Default Newbie

Hi all my name is Gary I just bought a 1967 RS it hasn't run in 5 years. Want to see if the motor is OK. Any suggestions? This is my first Camaro so I don't want to mess it up. As far as I can tell it might be a matching numbers car except for a couple of things, manifold, carb and headers but in time that will change i hope.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:48 AM
3rd Gear Member

Welcome Gary, what I would start with would be pulling the plugs and blasting some lube in the cylinders. I would let it set overnight and see if she will turn over by hand the next day. Then you can go from there.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:05 AM

Thanks Edwardgp I'll let you know how that turned out

Old 11-28-2012, 10:03 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Welcome Gary. Feel free to post up any questions in the 1st gen tech section.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:01 PM
4th Gear Member

As ED suggests, squirt oil into the cylinders, let sit, then with a fresh battery and oil level at the correct level, hold the throttle open and crank engine over with the starter several times to lube the crank. Checkfor spark at the plugs the same time and whether or not in time with a timing light.

Depending upon the condition of the gas in the tank, fuel pump diaphram, and hoses, you may have to rig a gravity fed fuel supply to the carb.
Be sure to have a fire extinguisher handy and install clean plugs and see what happens.

Once it's been ran for 15-20 minutes then you can cheange oil, filter, check for leaks, etc. After it cools down overnight, drain and flush coolant, brake fluid, ATF, if equipped, manual trans oil and rear axle lube. Make it safe first, then roadworthy.

Check charging system and the like.

Congrats on the buy. Enjoy the trip.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:35 PM

Hey all just wanted to say thanks for all the feedback I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

I would have suggested the same thing the above did, thats what I did to mine.... which has also been sitting 5 years. gonna try to start it up in a couple weeks. I hope we both get lucky. Welcome to the forums, congrats on your new Camaro. I look forward to seeing it soon.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Welcome to the forum Gary, post up some pics of your 1st Gen.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:39 PM

Well just to update all, my 67 started and she runs but I need to have my carb worked on I think. does anybody know about edelbrock carbs. I live in a small town in California called Yucca Valley kinda near Palm Springs. Photos soon as I can clean her up.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:20 PM
4th Gear Member

Buy a rebuild kit, a can of aerosol carb cleaner, break down the carb to its singular components, blast every hole in the body and throttle plate and use the supplied instructions to assemble it back together.
Once carb is back on the engine, use a vacuum gauge for adjusting the mixture screws for the best idle, aka, highest vacuum reading, add alittle more initial timing from the suggested setting, and I bet she will purr.

Quick Reply: Newbie