New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

New owner, new member... old car

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Default New owner, new member... old car

Just purchased a 1995 RS convertible, which I hope someday looks like Green Arrow's... this is meant to be a restore project for my wife and I as we have always wanted to have a muscle car (although, I don't think a 6cyl qualifies) AND a convertible. The top is 1 yr old, the car has just south of 148K on the odo, and after a new set of tires, rides and runs pretty well. Only issue I am having is, as an audiophile, I can't stand that my stock Bose system has no power to it. It has sound, but no volume or punch. The old owner told me that the "booster" was removed, and, after checking, I think he may mean the sub/ amp unit from the trunk (since it's not there and all). Anyway, looking very forward to the advice from all of you learned sages, and cruising on brisk autumn Nashville days down these twisting country roads of ours!

Old 08-19-2012, 07:43 AM
3rd Gear Member

Welcome, and I believe you answered your own question about your Bose. Now someone will come along that has one or knows where to get one. Once again welcome to the Camaro Forum.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:08 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome to the forum, very honored you'd mention my car. I don't think the converts ever came equiped with any bass in the trunk. But it is possible, take a look at my cardomain page below. Just depends on how far you want to go because it's a small area to play with. And even going big, the sound doesn't get through the top very well when it's down. But let me know if you need anything, I've had 15 year working on this car so I know a lot about the verts.

Post some pics when you can.

Last edited by greenarrow; 08-19-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the responses, gentlemen. It definitely looks like something was pulled out of the trunk on the left side, but I don't see anywhere online that will tell me definitively what is supposed to actually be part of the system that the car came with, so I don't know what I need to hook back up. Frustrating... Would posting up a picture help someone identify what was there? I planned on putting pics up as a "before" starting point, anyway, so the trunk will be included in that.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:29 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It could have been a CD changer maybe, but you're top pump is on the left side as well under the carpet panel. I'm 99% sure there was no "factory" sub ever offered in the camaro converts. That being said, doesn't mean someone didn't put some aftermarket thing in there. There were really only two stereo options for that year, the regular and the bose, the bose had the 5 speaker system with the sub in back. But you couldn't get that on a convert.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:39 PM

Thanks, GA! Actually, the head unit says Bose, but I know that the guy that originally owned the car had an aftermarket HU in it, and the swap was done right before the guy I got it from bought it. Is there anything that is tell-tale on that system (guts-wise... speakers, other equip) that would tell me for sure what it is/ was? Maybe I'll just write it off as a bad job and put an aftermarket system in it...

Old 08-20-2012, 02:46 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I'm going to say that since there was a aftermarket head unit in it that the guy proablay just put a stock bose head unit in it to sell it. The complete bose systems would have an amp also, but you won't find that in a vert, no room. It's not a bose car, either you had a stockaftermarket cd changer in the back or some one put a sub or something back there.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the info!... looks like a new aftermarket system.