New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

New Guy

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 07:26 AM
Exclamation New Guy

Hello all I have a 99’ Z28/SS and I bought it not running , after about 3 months of tinkering I got her running but the guy I bought it off of had put an aftermarket hurst short throw shifter on it .. I hate it it fights me to go in gear sometimes, or it misses all together, and reverse I have to use both hands to find lol .. does anyone have a suggestion on what I should do? I was looking for the OEM shifter but I am having no luck ..

Old 02-11-2018, 12:39 PM
4th Gear Member

welcome to the forum it should not be that hard to shift could be the clutch,check ebay for probley only see them used i am sure there must be many that would work as oem stick for a standard ,tons on ebay of aftermarket ,but if you need two hands to shift seems you got going into gear issues linkage is a guess. l dont know much about those clutchces.go to general section of 4th gen

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 02-11-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:25 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

I have not heard great things about the Hurst but indeed make sure your clutch is working right before you change anything. I have a B&M Ripper to sell that works great just FYI. I upgraded to a brand new MGW not knowing the car didn't still have a stock shifter. I had a lot of mods done all at once shortly after buying the car, the B&M worked real nice actually and had I known it was not the stocker I might not have bought the MGW. I had no experience with a T-56 before I bought this car so I didn't know the difference between stock and the ripper and frankly I think I should have saved the $350 I spent on the MGW.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:36 PM

Thanks guys for the quick response! I will look into my clutch .. the car runs really well other than that.. I am in the process of modding the suspension at the moment once I’m done I will post some pictures.. after that I will get back to you all about the shifter issues

Old 02-12-2018, 10:27 AM
4th Gear Member

On shifting hard into Reverse,
check trans underneath to see if an aftermarket circuit has been plugged into the trans harness by the shifter.
Camaro is OE with 'Skip-Shift' - a feature only allowing for trans shifting from first to third, or maybe fourth gear at low engine RPM's. There will be a 'SKIP' light illuminating and disallows shifting into 2nd gear.
Some people install a plug-in on the harness eliminating this function so trans can be shifted into 2nd gear at low RPM when 'SKIP' light is on.
The 'SKIP' harness plug is the same shape as the REV plug.
When car is still from moving forward, no MPH, then the reverse solenoid in trans is energized so trans can easily go into reverse gear, rather than using two hands.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:50 PM

I haven’t noticed a ‘skip’ light before but this next time I have time to get underneath her I’ll have to look into that. I will keep updating! Thanks!!

Old 02-13-2018, 05:15 PM

Welcome. While you are checking the clutch, it wouldn't hurt to check the trans lube as well.