New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

New forum member

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Default New forum member

Hello All.

I am new to the forum to read other's experiences with their 69 Camaro. I just inheritated one from my mother who recently passed and her husband had tore it down for restoration. Needless to say, I have quite a project on my hands. I'm not inexperienced but I don't have the knowledge as some of the "gearheads" (I use that term with the utmost respect) on the forums. First hand experience is better than anything else.

I look forward to seeing what is in the forums and what information I can suck out of you!! (again, with the utmost respect)!

First thing I am going to start looking up is exactly what all the descriptions mean on the papers my Mom got when she bought the car.

1. 202 Camelback heads? What are they and what are the doing for me?
2. Roller Rockers? I know what they are, just need to figure out the benefits.
3. Gear Driven Cam? Every small block Chevy I have ever seen had a timing chain. I have to investigate.
4. 600 Holley. Is this a good carb? Ran good before, what would make it run better?
5. Edelbrock RPM Intake? Again, what exactly is it and what is it doing for me?

Guess I have some work to do....off to the forums I go.

Dale R. Potter.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:40 AM
June 2007 ROTM
Default RE: New forum member

welcome to the forums. lol have fun man. build the car the way u want it

Old 06-17-2007, 02:18 PM
3rd Gear Member

Welcome, glad to have another 1st gen, post some progress pic's.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:57 PM

I'll post some pics soon. first I need to get some in it's current state, then I have to figure out how to start a photo album.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:28 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Welcome to the forums. There is a ton of knowledge in the first gen section. Have fun!

Old 06-18-2007, 06:44 AM
In the Staging Lanes

HI THERE DRPOTTER NICE 69 CAMAROKEEP WORKING ON IT YOU WILL BE OK!
LET ME SEE IF I CAN HELP YOU OUT ON YOUR QUESTIONS
1.THE 202 HEADS YOU ARE ASKING ABOUT ARE MADE TO LET IN MORE FUEL AND AIR ALONG WITH THE BIGGER VALVES BOTH INTAKE AND EXHAUST THE COMPRESSION WILL GO UP A LITTLE AS THE CHAMBER IS SMALLER BOTTOM LINE IS MORE HORSEPOWER
2.ROLLER ROCKERS ARE GOOD INVESTMENT AT ANY TIME BECAUSE THEY WILL FREE UP THE VALVE TRAIN SO IT WORK AT LOT EASYER
JUST DON,T OVER BUY IF YOU ARE GOING TO RUN A SMALL CAMSHAFT YOU DO NOT NEED HIGH DOLLAR ROCKERS
3.GEARDRIVES I PERSONALY HAVE NO USE FOR THESE BECAUSE THERE IS NO BENIFIT TO THEM THEY MAKE A LOT OF NOISE
I WOULD STICK WITH A DOUBLE ROLLER TIMING CHAIN THEY ARE QUITE RELIABLE
4.600CFM HOLLEY NOTHING WRONG HEREIT,S A GOOD STREET CARB AND WILL GET THE JOB DONE OVER CARBURATION DOES NOTHING
UNLESS YOU HAVE THE HOLE PACKAGE EVERY PART OF THE MOTOR MUST WORK TOGETHER TO MAKE HORSEPOWER
5.EDELBROCK RPM INTAKE THIS MANIFOLD IS MADE AGAIN TO MAKE MORE HORSEPOWER IT,S JOB IS TO DELIVER AIR AND FUEL MIX INTO
THE MOTOR THIS IS A GOOD PICK FOR THE STREET
ALSO IF YOU MAKING ALL THESE CHANGES DO NOT FORGET ABOUT ENOUGH IGNITION THAT CAN DO DAMAGE TO IF NOT ADDRESSED
THESE ARE ALL JUST SOME ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS THE BOTTOM LINE IS DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU LAY OUT THE
GREENBACKS KNOW WHAT YOU ARE BUYING DON,T GET SCAMMED
THANKS FOR NOW REMENBER IT,S ALL ABOUT HAVING FUN
STICKIT

Old 06-18-2007, 11:03 AM

Thanks Stickit for the the info. These items are already on the car, so I guess I will be using them for awhile. Ignition system is the only real questions that I am going to have. It looks like what it had was a "standard" GM electronic system on it. It ran ok, but I need to look into something else because there were a few problems if I remember correctly. I will put a post in the forum section instead of in here when I get to that point and see if I can get some advise. I don't want to overbuy or create any headaches by getting the wrong system. I have enough work to do already.

Having fun so far!!
Dale

Old 06-18-2007, 09:02 PM

I started a Flickr account to post updates on the car. I just put of pics of the current state.

www.flickr.com/photos/drpotter/sets

Let me know what you think!!

Old 06-19-2007, 07:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Dale!

WOW, what you got there is what we call a 'basket case'. Probably taking up all the room in the garage and making quite the mess. If you can send me your address I can come over and haul all of it away......and I wouldn't charge youmore than $50 (plus gas money).
Oh almost forgot, I'd have to charge for the truck/trailer rental too.

[sm=smiley8.gif]

Old 06-19-2007, 03:04 PM

Nothing personal...but I think I'll hang on to. I still have a couple of paths through the garage. Just like a great big jigsaw puzzle. Plus, I can still use the cupholders.

Quick Reply: New forum member