New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

new from arlington, tx

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Default new from arlington, tx

hey everyone, my name is shaun and im from tx, recently joined and love camaros

if a lot of 2nd gen people read this, i would like a lot of help with what to look for in a 2nd gen camaro as im looking at a 79 atm

Old 09-08-2010, 01:41 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome to the forum, you can post up in the 2nd gen tech section and might get more help there. Not too many 2nd gen people so not sure how the turn out would be for ya.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:29 PM

alright man, thanks a lot, and im happy to be here

Old 09-08-2010, 08:22 PM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome aboard, theres enough 2nd gen people here. I give and get advice all the time. Great bunch of people (every gen) lots of knowledge. But like GA said ^^ post in the 2nd gen section you'll get good replies.

As for looking at one, bring a screw driver with you and poke at the frame and floors (floors can be easily replaced but it gets hard when it comes to frame work) check the dash corners (bottom of the windshield) for crazy rust (common spot) but #1 to look for is the leaf springs going through the floor or trunk. Good luck on the find and say hello to Hank Hill for me lol j/k

Joe

Old 09-08-2010, 09:50 PM

alright, i will post in the 2nd gen section soon
as for the rust areas, i havent looked at this one car to hard just yet, but he said there was rust in the trunk and that he was redoing it starting with the rear of the car, and working his way forward, i looked at the trunk and it looks great(inside), he also had a few of the panels pulled out, i believe the sail panels?(ones by the rear seats) and the kick panels were out, i glanced at the areas and didnt look like rust was there.
i will take into consideration about the corners of the dash by the windshield and when i look at the car again this weekend i will be looking a lot harder before i decide to buy it
also, i know the engine has a few quarks, like the guy said it has a vacuum leak but im hoping its just the gasket and needs a rebuilt carb, there is a miss but one of the plug wires is resting on the exhaust manifold and is arching, plus some smoke is coming from the tail pipes, which im hoping is only a valve seal or is valve train related as i wont be to thrilled if i need new rings, although a comp check should let me know right?