New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Need advice on what camaro to buy

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 01:09 PM
Default Need advice on what camaro to buy

I used to have a 1992 z28 heritage edition camaro until someone rear ended me at a red light going about 50 sending me through the intersection to get hit by a maxima. So after a few years of driving other cars i really want my baby back, but I don't know what year I should buy. Is there any year that is better all year around such as in snow and all?

Old 12-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM
Default RE: Need advice on what camaro to buy

i would say stick with a 3rd gen, without a doubt. my personal experiences found that a 4th gen was probably the worst RWD car ive ever owned in the snow, and ive had quite a few third gens, a monte carlo, 2wd trucks, an old grand prix and few others i cant recollect, but ive never had a harder time with anything like the 96 i had

Old 12-10-2005, 03:09 PM
2nd Gear member

Well, opinions differ - does that surprise you. I would stick with the final, LS-1 engined cars. There is no suobstantial difference among the 98-final year so I would look for a 98-99 in good shape: lower cost, but take a 2000-2001 if the price was good (some of those go for a lot more, though).

Reasons? The LS- engine series is just fantastic. A lot of potential and a lot of really good aftermarket parts out there now.

As to snow, well, narrow rims and snow tires on the back, and three bags of 80lb gravel in the back and it did okay. But an old front wheel drive Geo Prism we kept as a snow car did a lot better.

Old 12-11-2005, 02:43 AM

Do you know the price range of the newer camaros that you mentioned? Do you know off hand if there is a significant increase for insurance when buying a newer camaro?

Old 12-11-2005, 10:00 AM
2nd Gear member

A lot of the price has to do with condition, but I think a 98 couple Z28 in prime shape is around $9-$10k.

An SS in any year will cost a lot extra as they are collectable, but I would not spend extra if I am on a budget: I won't say that what you get isn't worth the premium you often pay for the SS, but look carefully. When we bought new, be got a plan jane Z28 because: a) the HP you can get with retrofits for only a few hundred, b) the SS cool air hood is not as efficient as aftermarket hoods, c) we wanted to jump the 17" wheel size to 18s (we ran 18" SSRs for a couple of years before we transferred the ZO6's wheels to it. You do get a steering pump cooler on some which is nice, but . . .

You can see the result. This picture shows the car about 6 months ago. We put on an SS spoiler we got at a surplus yard for $65. Its running the ZO6 wheels with 315 drag radials at back, and has a locker rear axle (3.73). My son is standing in front of the hood but you can see it is not stock. Aftermarket ram air with the rain baffles removed and the airbox sealed tight - really makes a difference.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1744/0B6D98D6205346239C5F4291864ABA0F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-11-2005, 05:21 PM

I don't have that much to spend so maybe I'll go with what I used to have, the 92 camaro. I had a RS but I think it's time to get the z28. I am just worried about it being a typical american car and breaking down every other day. I have a Mercedes right now but there is so much to fix on it that I'm thinking about going back to my roots and getting a camaro. I can't get much for the Mercedes though since it's a 82 300sd

Old 12-11-2005, 08:25 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: MoneyMike

I am just worried about it being a typical american car and breaking down every other day. I have a Mercedes right now but there is so much to fix on it that I'm thinking about going back to my roots and getting a camaro. I can't get much for the Mercedes though since it's a 82 300sd

American cars don't break down every other day. Both the Z28 and the vette never went back to the dealer for anything. I had a 94 Mercedes that was the worst car I've ever owned. After 14 months, during which there wasn't a day when everything on the car worked right, I just traded it, for a Cadillac, (which also never went back to the dealer in all the time I owned it).

If you can't get an LS you could get a good LT1 350 though. Nice engine, that. One of my favorites.

Old 12-13-2005, 02:34 AM

Is the 1992 z28 a good camaro though? I save a lot on insurance by getting a little bit older for some reason. It has always been my dream car also, but I don't know if this year happened to not be as reliable or anything like that.

Old 12-13-2005, 07:58 AM
2nd Gear member

I think they are great cars. I recommend getting as new as you can afford, other things being equal, but insurance and so forth is an issue. Realize that a newermodel, 3.8 liter V6 with the 5-speed (make sure its the 200 HP 3.8 liter, not 2.8 or 3.4), might be as quick as, and a bit more reliable, and less to insure, than an older 305 V8. You might consider that, too.

Old 12-13-2005, 01:16 PM

Yeah that's true, I guess I will see what is the cheapest when I go to buy it. If there is nothing wrong with the 92 I may just go with that since thats what i've always wanted since i was little. Do you know off hand if you can put a alarm system in it with remote start? if i get the z28

Quick Reply: Need advice on what camaro to buy