New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Love the old ones

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 06:01 PM
Default Love the old ones

Hello! I'm a newbie here. I am the original owner of a LeMans Blue 1969 Camaro 350 SS 4-speed. When I bought my car, I was 21 years old. Now I'm 60...............and that sucks! Oh well, it happens. Anyway, I ordered my car at the Saigon PX with $250 down and picked it up in San Francisco at Les Vogel Chevrolet after I processed out of the Army. The total cost was $3377 with payments of $67 per month. Those days are long gone but not the thrill ofdriving my Camaro. I love going to cruise nights and local car shows and have wonlots of "Dust Collectors" with it. It is also the centerfold in Steve Statham's Camaro book and was used in a GM 2004 Calendar. I tell you this, not to brag, but to make a point to some of you who are fixing one up. My car was hit in 1979 and was considered a "total" by my insurance company. Of course I could not part with it that way, so I fought back and won enough in settlement to fix it. It took me six years, and I did everything but thepaint by myself. It was a labor of love, as they say. So, if it seems your projectis too much, or is taking too long, maybe you don't love it enough. Whether you "hot rod" it, or restore it to it's original condition, stay with it. The payoff is the fun and personal satisfaction at the end. And, if you're an old guy,it could keep you young!

Old 01-31-2008, 06:56 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Love the old ones

nice car and a great story! welcome to the forums! hey i dunno if you like forth gens but check out my rides!!!!

Old 01-31-2008, 07:00 PM

That is a beautiful camaro. Good decision to fix it up after the accident

Old 01-31-2008, 08:59 PM
1st Gear Member

that is one nice camaro, do you ever take that car to the Show and Go car show in riverside???are you in the Old Farts car club???

[IMG]local://upfiles/6679/A3DF922A18D04B2BA769C2685509D83E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-31-2008, 09:25 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Camaroldman

Hello! I'm a newbie here. I am the original owner of a LeMans Blue 1969 Camaro 350 SS 4-speed. When I bought my car, I was 21 years old. Now I'm 60...............and that sucks! Oh well, it happens. Anyway, I ordered my car at the Saigon PX with $250 down and picked it up in San Francisco at Les Vogel Chevrolet after I processed out of the Army. The total cost was $3377 with payments of $67 per month. Those days are long gone but not the thrill ofdriving my Camaro. I love going to cruise nights and local car shows and have wonlots of "Dust Collectors" with it. It is also the centerfold in Steve Statham's Camaro book and was used in a GM 2004 Calendar. I tell you this, not to brag, but to make a point to some of you who are fixing one up. My car was hit in 1979 and was considered a "total" by my insurance company. Of course I could not part with it that way, so I fought back and won enough in settlement to fix it. It took me six years, and I did everything but thepaint by myself. It was a labor of love, as they say. So, if it seems your projectis too much, or is taking too long, maybe you don't love it enough. Whether you "hot rod" it, or restore it to it's original condition, stay with it. The payoff is the fun and personal satisfaction at the end. And, if you're an old guy,it could keep you young!

Very nice car
Are you still in the SF Bay Area?
I know what you mean about loving the cars, I have had my Firebird since 1976. Well it actuly was my wifes car when we were in highschool but its mine now
Like to see more bigger pics if you have them

Old 01-31-2008, 09:28 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dacats67

that is one nice camaro, do you ever take that car to the Show and Go car show in riverside???are you in the Old Farts car club???

[IMG]local://upfiles/6679/A3DF922A18D04B2BA769C2685509D83E.jpg[/IMG]

Are you going to Super Chevy the end of March at The Ca. Speedway. I'm going to try and have my Firebird done enough to take it.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:19 PM
1st Gear Member

yes i am Wade , i should have the motor in this weekend then i'ts off to get a new roll cage and a deck lid, then off to the chassis dyno, hopefully there will be a open test and tune at fontana before super chevy, would like to get some track time and Camaroldman is from Lake elsinore, by the way wade did you check out my pics of new motor???there under 1st generation section under the monster!!!!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/6679/BF79FFCDF3DB4B018B3D9A803CCA35CC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-31-2008, 11:40 PM

Firebird69racer,
Actualy, when I picked up the car I lived in Redondo Beach. It was a great drive down the coast. Now I live in Lake Elsinore. I do have a few other pics, but I think the large shot I attached is the best.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:49 PM

Dacats67,
You have a couple of nice rides there, yourself! No, I have not gone to the Show & Go show but may do it this year. I am not a member of the Old Farts but am a member of the Drifters in Temecula.Was president of the Cool Runnin' Camaros 1st generation club for one year. They werebased in L.A. county. Don't know if they are still around.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:00 AM

bluovlh8er

I like the handle. Nice cars too. Looks cold back there in Ohio. Got a heated garage?

Quick Reply: Love the old ones