New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Intro About myself....

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 04:56 PM
NOOB
January 2012 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Intro About myself....

Well of course you see my username and you may want to shoo me away from this forum but there is some useful information that I am seeking in regaurds to my Cobalt SS.

I am an owner of a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC and left the C o b a l t s s . c o m forum due to the lack of knowledge and unhelpful information given.

In hopes of seeing if any Camaro owners have a supercharged motors or even understands them to any level, (due to the fact that this is my first force-induced car from all previous N/A hot rods) could help explain to me what is going on after my simple modifications....

I have owned 2 camaros in my lifetime, one being a 1979 Camaro Z-28 flat black (which was later stolen and stripped to the bare chasis), and a Fox-Body '88 Iroc-Z (5.7L tuned port injection which I modded and acquired 11.9s on stock tires and a 6speed transmission swap).

Now my question on my zippy Cobalt SS is this: The motor is a 2.0L supercharged Ecotec pushin' 205hp stock with a red-line of 6500rpm @12psi of boost (all stock). I have read and researched that if you do a cat-back exaust, which I have, you lose 2psi of boost. But, I have also done a K&N Air-Box mod (9") that should boost you up to 14psi. And I have read in other forums that when you do both these applications, the most psi you should be seeing is 11psi.... But I am seeing 16psi??

What does anyone make of this?? Could it just be a blip in my boost gauge or just that the Drop in Air-Box mod override my Exhaust??

Any Help Would Be Appreciated!!

Old 06-03-2009, 05:04 PM
2nd Gear member

welcome!, could you put a smaller pulley on the s/c without tuning it?

Old 06-03-2009, 05:30 PM
NOOB
January 2012 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

Yeah but you would have to upgrade stock injectors....

Old 06-03-2009, 05:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by SprSSBalt
Fox-Body '88 Iroc-Z (5.7L tuned port injection which I modded and acquired 11.9s on stock tires and a 6speed transmission swap).

glad to hear from you but fox body are FORD mustang / fairmont / LTD-II and mercury capri/ cougar /zephyr ! not chevy camaro

Old 06-03-2009, 05:58 PM
NOOB
January 2012 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

Sorry.... I just caught that.... I was in the middle of a discussion with my co-worker about StockVSStock and he brought up the fox bodies

Thank you though for correcting me....

But you wouldnt be able to help me with my problem right?? Been puzzling me FOREVER and it doesnt make any sense....

Old 06-03-2009, 06:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

. first check to make sure your gauge is giving a true reading.
I'm not sure about camaro but in my stangs. you can have different boosted levels from car to car because it depends on what intake/ heads/ cam's because your reading is from how much pressure you have in the intake system. so use this for simple terms. if you have;
1) V8 with single plain intake and roller cam with long tub headers no exhaust.
2) V8 with dual plain intake and non roller cam and stock manifolds with full exhaust.
number 1 going lower boost reading than say 2 because the 1 has less airflow resistant's(more efficiency) in the system that 2 is.
easier the air pump works, the less boost will be readings.

sound like, if your boost is higher than what suppose to be and you gauge is true ,. then I would have to say your intake and exhaust system is not as efficient.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:26 PM
NOOB
January 2012 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

Sounds logical....

But like i said, all my modifications were professionally done and it may just be the cone....

Its a 9" cone. The CAI mod has a stock max diameter of 6". That is a lot more diameter than the K&N or Fujita (eg.). More diameter=more flow rite??

But I'm open to any helpful information to get me kinda familiar to what is making this bomb tick. A little bit makes sense of what i assume, but its still not fully explainable. Like I say, boosted cars react differently ever single time, mod for mod.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:16 AM
1st Gear Member

welcome to the forum!....

Old 06-05-2009, 09:43 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

get a ss2 and be done with it. welcome to the forum.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:37 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome man, first thing first, check your gauge to be sure it's correct. You could banging your head against a wall over nothing. And I'm always been told that no matter what the mods, it's the pulley that determines the boost.

The gauge measure the pressure inside the intake track, exhaust has nothing to do with that pressure. The intake is sealed off from the exhaust.

And then SC can only take in as much air as it can fit in it's intake opening, you have allowed it to get probably it's max intake air flow, so that could be the cause of your boost in pressure. If it was very constrained before you did the air box mod, then it could of been straining to even pull enough air for 12 PSI.

Quick Reply: Intro About myself....