New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

I'M new

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 10:39 AM
Default I'M new

I'm wanting a Camaro but I want to decide by using the curb weights for all the years of Camaro's.

Old 09-23-2020, 04:26 PM
2nd Gear member

That would decided on the year and what options the cars have.And what you want to do with the car .And with all the generations out there .There are a lot to choose from.

Old 09-23-2020, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Zspoiler
That would decided on the year and what options the cars have.And what you want to do with the car .And with all the generations out there .There are a lot to choose from.
Because it is going to be a drag build.

Old 09-23-2020, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Zspoiler
It will be 4th gen because according to wikipedia curb weight is 2954 to 3211.

Old 09-23-2020, 07:44 PM
4th Gear Member

I believe the lightest were third gen but not by much,that said depending on how much you want to spend any of them can be light and a good drag car needs a good chassis so most of the car should end up being gutted and stock parts replaced anyway.
If you're balling on a budget and can't afford the fancy stuff there are options galore.
What is your motor plan? If LS a late 4th gen Z28 is a good start,already set up for LS power.
If going old school small block maybe a 3rd gen V-8 car,light and set up for a small block.
If you want to go big block 1st or 2nd gen the late 2nd gens being somewhat affordable still.
Keep an eye out on craigslist and facebook for a roller drag car that's already had a good rear end and what not installed,I see them quite often usually without a motor and trans but set up for XXX.

Old 09-24-2020, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Y2Keglide
I believe the lightest were third gen but not by much,that said depending on how much you want to spend any of them can be light and a good drag car needs a good chassis so most of the car should end up being gutted and stock parts replaced anyway.
If you're balling on a budget and can't afford the fancy stuff there are options galore.
What is your motor plan? If LS a late 4th gen Z28 is a good start,already set up for LS power.
If going old school small block maybe a 3rd gen V-8 car,light and set up for a small block.
If you want to go big block 1st or 2nd gen the late 2nd gens being somewhat affordable still.
Keep an eye out on craigslist and facebook for a roller drag car that's already had a good rear end and what not installed,I see them quite often usually without a motor and trans but set up for XXX.
Could you help me find the curb weights please for every possible configuration?

Old 09-24-2020, 07:34 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You are going about it wrong. The curb weight you are going to find online are cars completely dressed. For a race car I assume you want undress weight. Its been my understanding that the 3rd gen undressed is the lightest plus working on the 4th gens are kind of a pain since half the motor is under the windshield. GM spent a lot of engineering time reducing the weight of the 4th gen so you end up with a heavy car with light accessories, the 3rd gen is a light body with heavy accessories.

As stated above its pretty easy to build or install a different LS in a later model LS cars but if its a true race car then there will come a time you you may want a big block to drastically change the your drive line and you will regret the 4th gen. Also the 4th gen motor comes out

Old 09-24-2020, 10:07 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Yojih123
Could you help me find the curb weights please for every possible configuration?
Simple google search will get you there.

Originally Posted by Gorn
You are going about it wrong. The curb weight you are going to find online are cars completely dressed. For a race car I assume you want undress weight. Its been my understanding that the 3rd gen undressed is the lightest plus working on the 4th gens are kind of a pain since half the motor is under the windshield. GM spent a lot of engineering time reducing the weight of the 4th gen so you end up with a heavy car with light accessories, the 3rd gen is a light body with heavy accessories.

As stated above its pretty easy to build or install a different LS in a later model LS cars but if its a true race car then there will come a time you you may want a big block to drastically change the your drive line and you will regret the 4th gen. Also the 4th gen motor comes out
This!