New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

I WANT MORE HORSEPOWER!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 10:19 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: I WANT MORE HORSEPOWER!

ORIGINAL: BigNic

everything everybody has said is true however seeing how you through the exclamation point at the end there if ure looking in to spending alot of money get a supercharger this will give like a 50% horsepower boost

yea just grab some wrenches and bolt it on [:@]

Old 01-31-2007, 11:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Before you go supercharging there are many supporting upgrades you will have to perform FIRST. You can make very respectable HP from a 3.8 but for the money involved i wonder if it wouldnt be cheaper to just find a wrecked maro with a solid LTI and put it in your car? But either way there will always be faster cars, its the time and how much of yourself you put into the car that counts. Have fun , personally i dont think there's anything more satisfying.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:08 AM
4th Gear Member

yea...but V8 swap would be a *****

I like my V6...its not the fastest, but hell its a camaro and I guess it gives me pride building something unique

and yes...the 3.8 has lots of potential, theres 11sec's out there and lots of 12's as well

Old 02-01-2007, 01:21 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah it would be kind of a *****, just a thought though, but your right 3.8's do have alot of potential and like i said you can make very respectable HP numbers from them. My first camaro was a 3.8 and I loved it.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:23 AM
4th Gear Member

so...from someone whose owned both engines...difference between a 6er and LS1...night/day i'd assume

Old 02-01-2007, 07:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well there is a notable difference when you touch the gas , but there's also a little over 100hp difference. Im so used to my car though that I dont even notice, now when I bought the car I was impressed. I tend to notice my car more if I've been driving something else for a while and then jump in mine.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:55 AM

I was thinking about the question, "what can be done to make a 3.4/3.8 a little faster with out spending to much money!" Also safely. Well, other than your standard hop-ups like ECU reflash and/or piggybacks, exhaust, and some type of air intake system- I would go with a fogger shot of NOS (Nitrous Oxide System). The brand I would recomend and have used myself is"ZEX". It uses a module that no matter what the bottle pressure is, it will adjust according to the pressure and supply the right amount of fuel. NOS systems are safe if use and installed properly and they are not that expensive. The problem is- because it is less expensive, typically it has fallen into the wrong hands and has been abused. For a V6 I would not use anything more than a 75-100HP shot of NOS because of cylinder pressurewould beto high for a 6 cyl. and detonation could occure (supposing you know about detonation and its destruction to an engine) and would require to forge an engine. Superchargers and turbochargers can cause catostrophic falure as well so dont use an alternative means of forced induction becuase of relyabilty, they all can some how blow your engine if not careful. When you add horsepower you could add trouble, but with a little knolege and patience it is a whole lot of fun. Now granted a V8 is ulimatley a goodway to go, but that was not the question. I use NOS on my 94 3.4L V6 and I am pushing approx. 320BHP out of it. I have a fogger shot and 1 heat range colder plug and it runs like a BAT-OUT-OF-HELL! But I also have a 03 Nissan 350Z w/ a Greddy twin turbo set up and an SS camaro pushing 575WHP and thats a whole lot of fun. Remember there is no exact figure(s) just rules of thumb(s) soeducate yourself and ask lots of questions before you buy!

Old 02-04-2007, 10:31 PM
4th Gear Member

NOS is a brand...N20 is nitrous oxide

50-75 dry shot on a stock 3.8, you might get away w/ a 100 shot but it would be unsafe

Old 02-05-2007, 02:55 AM

No, actually if you pull some timing out you can run up to 125HP shot of nitrous on a 6 cyl. The BTU (british thermal units) raised would be only 38 percent which the 6 cyl. could withstand close to 44 percent and still be in the safe zone. 1 heat range cooler plug and the stock ECU could detect detonation and pull enough timing out for 75-100 with of coarse the proper fuel supply. Yes, I know the formula for nitrous and yes, I do know the brand name NOS, ZEX, VENOM, NX(nitrous express) etc. NOS typically is said for slang for when you are runing nitrous- like some others GAS, FOG, SPRAY for some other examples. And also, the person who was asking the question was looking for some alternatives to increase horsepower. I like joing forums to help people and only would I correct someone if I know for sure they are absolutely wrong and I could back my statement. Remember increasing horsepower can be complex and there are so many different ways to do it.It requires a great deal of experience and knowledge, But thats best part of this hobby!!! Sometimes you have to just dive right in.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:02 AM

I apologize for my last statement, I just recently left another forum because I felt every time I would make a statement to help someone, somebody always has somethingnegative to say. So, I hope that my first paragragh was to of some help for anyone out there!!No harm intened folks!!

Quick Reply: I WANT MORE HORSEPOWER!