New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Hi There From Bob's Big Boy Broiler-Downey

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Default Hi There From Bob's Big Boy Broiler-Downey

Hi There,
New here to the CF.I have had many 1st and 2nd generation Camaros. Loved them all and wished that I would have kept them all.
Lived and learned though and have had my present 1969 LeMans Blue Camaro since 1984. It's been through countless girlfriends and a wife and is still here with me.
It was born in Van Nuys with a X-11 trim Code,Rallys and a black Vinyl top. It was purchased originally from Schonlaw Chevrolet on Sunset Bl in Hollywood CA. on 06/25/69.
It's a disc brake model withh multi leafs and has been lowered about 2& 1/2"s . Still a hoot to drive but could use some new color. Most of it's interior is gennie and has needed new carpet since I bought it 25yrs ago.
(Have some, still new in the box) Need to get on that when a spare moment arrives.

I do all kinds of things that are car related and run a vintage speed equipment company and manage a "True" Drive In Restaurant for livelihood. I spent the past 34 mos assisting in bringing back a southland car culture icon back from destuction.

It's a Googie Style Restaurant that was originally built in 1958 as Harvey's Broiler in the City Of Downey. It was cruised by most Southlanders and hailed in as many as 3-5k cars on any given weekend. It was chronicled in Author Tom Wolfes The Kandy Kolored Tangerine Streamlined Baby.

1968 Original owner Harvey E. Ortner was aproached by the owner of another formerly famous Googie icon (Romeo's Times Square),That was now named Johnie's Coffee Shop @ Wilshire/Fairfax BL. across from the now iconic Petersen Auto Museum. The gentleman struck a deal to run the Broiler as a Johnie's and The signage was switched and the Broiler took on another life, Mr Johnson couldn't meet the terms of his agreement Harvey Ortner took it back and in 1970 Drive-In service was halted .

Mr Johnson's 2nd Cook aproached Harvey about managing the Broiler and Harvey obliged. Harvey maintained ownership until his death in 1984 and his widow Minnie Ortner started a long term sale of the Drive In to their manager.

Car Cruises would happen every Wednesday in the 80-90's and the place would be packed. The new owner decided that the cruisers were not about paying for service,just hanging out in the lot. He sent them away and away went his business.

In 2001 On Dec 31, The Harvey's Legacy came to a close. The doors that had never been locked had to have a key made in order to close the business. In Jan 2002 the business re-openned as a sleazy used car lot.

New tenants ripped out the booths and jack hammered out the terazzo tile step area for the counter and just wreacked havoc on the 44yr old gal. Preservationists and Car groups stepped up and held rallies for the restoration of The Broiler and kept the dozers away for 5yrs. The building was qualified as a Ca. State Historic Site and held all of the rights of a landmarked building.

In 2006 a new tenant leased the site and applied for a demolition permit, but was turned down. On Jan 7th, 2007 w/o any warning or removal of utilities the broiler was damaged extensively in an Illegal Demolition halted by city code enforcement. The Broiler was 3/4 of the way destroyed. All news media were on scene as were the preservationists who couldn't believe their eyes.

I cruised my Camaro over to the Broiler on many ocasions,so I decided to help. It took nearly 3yrs after the illegal demo and an agreement with the city and the finding of a proprietor that could see what we saw in the Broiler, but we prevailed and it's now back serving cars and I get the manage the car hops and we get to serve people in their cars once again.

I even used the Camaro as a Car Hop Test car. They loved it and I am glad that we all get to enjoy the The Broilers Car canopy again and to top off this story, the owner of this Bob's owns a 1st Gen 67 Bolero Red Rag Top

Thanx for reading this long winded intro.

Kevin

Old 11-04-2009, 07:05 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome to the forum, post up some pics.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:31 AM

I'll see if I can get some loaded, I'm not too good at all of this but will learn it. I can always email them to someone if they want to post them 4 me

Old 06-20-2010, 01:08 AM
Default trunk emblem

Hi Kevin , just interested if your car still has the trunk emblem/sticker from Schonlaw on it . looking to get a pic or buy one . thanks

Old 06-23-2010, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by dhart99
Hi Kevin , just interested if your car still has the trunk emblem/sticker from Schonlaw on it . looking to get a pic or buy one . thanks
No,
It has an Arizona State decal that has been in the window since the early 70's. It wears a plate frame from the dealership that I worked at
Mission Chevrolet in San Gabriel.
Schonlaw used to be on Sunset Bl in Hollywood nearly across the street from where Guitar Center is. I haven't seen any decals or stickers with dealer name.

Thanx