New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

hey everyone

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Default hey everyone

hello, My name is Nick. im 26 yrs old and i have a passion for cars. i currently own and restored my 67 mustang, but i have came upon a project car at my shop thats been sitting and i talked my boss into letting me get it going. the car is an LT1 camaro z28..not sure of the year but i can find out. the car had aluminum heads, BBK full length headers, BBK throttle body, moroso (i think) cold air intake, crane vacuum canister, monster cam, not sure of the specs at all, full exhaust and minor suspension work. the car runs bad, but it sounds nasty and i drove it feels like it would be a monster if working right. my question and reason im here is to maybe get alittle advice and opinions on what could be wrong. it doesnt have the optispark...theres a delete plate and its got some sort of coil pack system sitting on top of the drivers side valve cover. 2 plug wires per coild pack. and also i was told the ignition controll module could be bad too becasue when i tried to start it up the other day myt friend said it blew a flame out of the throttle body. ill take some pics and post the up later. i want to get it running and re do the car. thanks Nick

Old 04-27-2011, 10:41 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome to the forum Nick, sounds like someone put a delteq ignition system on it from your description. That really sucks since they went out of business and you can't get parts for it anymore. But that system still requires the use of the optical pickup part of the opti unless they did some major changes to solve that issue. Post up some pics when you can and we'll help you out.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:31 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep sounds like your gona need to either get an aftermarket ignition like fast or efi, or return it to a stock ignition. welcome to the forum.