New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Hey Everyone

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 02:49 AM
Default Hey Everyone

Hello everyone,

I'm Jake and I semi own a 1979' Z28 Camaro. I say Semi because it’s "Daddy's Car" but it will be mine shortly. Insurance among other things need to come down in cost before I can have it in my name, I’m 18. I do believe he bought it original, if not, he would have been the second owner.

I don’t know much about what it all has in it, I am kind of car illiterate, but would like to learn a lot more, because I want to fix this car, however the Pops does not want to put any more money into. We don’t see eye to eye on that one. It is on it’s second engine, replaced at about 190,000miles, its around 214,000 right now. The engine is a rebuilt V8 350, the same as before as far as I can tell.

In the future, hopefully not too far away, I’d like to give it some more power, and really make it look like new again.

Added:

Like I said before, I am pretty sure not much of this car is original, other than the Frame. A while back, maybe around when I was born, or just a few years later, a teenage kid and his friend decided they were going to steal a car and go for a joyride. Sadly my Camaro was at the Mechanics and the mechanic left it parked outside, with the keys in the ignition. So the kids took it 4 wheeling in a farm field and from what I was told, they destroyed the entire body of the car, but for some reason the frame was okay. All the other damages were repaired as well, not sure what may have been damaged, I just know the body was the most affected.

A new body was re-attached, with very minor errors. If you take a left while going too fast, the tire will rub something within the wheel well, still haven’t pin pointed what the heck it is. So the paint, no it’s not the original paint that was put on 28 years ago, but it is the exact same color, design, decals, all of that has been redone, every year. We still buy the same exact decals it came with when it was first purchased, and it is painted with the exact same colors it was painted with when it was bought. Every few years, all of the paint is stripped off, and they start from the base again.

Hasn’t been garaged a lot, but it has only been driven in the summer. Like I said, she’s got 214,000 miles on the second engine. So I think it’s pretty safe to say, pretty much everything else has been replaced.

I have the original manual, yes that’s right from 1979, still in working order, although I ripped the back page off by accident, still all together though.

The only broken things I can think of, is the Tac is broken,personally I think it hasto do with the wires on the car, because sometimes if you rev it, thetac moves, or if I hit the horn, which the horn sounds really stupidby the way, it moves the tac as well.

Name:  IMG_0513.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  96.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0512.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  79.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0434.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  123.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0440.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  86.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0439.jpg
Size:  97.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0438.jpg
Size:  115.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0442.jpg
Size:  120.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0450.jpg
Size:  48.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0449.jpg
Size:  56.9 KB

Just took this one 5mins ago, the car is parked in the garage, and it's 4am, making it kind of hard to get a good picture, LOL. Here you can see it is missing one of the decals,one is supposed to go around the entire hood scoopthingy, but it was peeled off when part of the car was repainted.
[font=c

Old 09-22-2007, 03:05 AM
Default RE: Hey Everyone

THATS COOL
nice potential there...
maybe you'll want collector car insurance from Haggerty or something; you may want to check their website.it's usually less than $200/year, not sure about 18 year old driver though. there's a thread somewhere around here on collector car insurance options...

I think there's a lot of people who would like to have that ride if it's as clean as it looks. Is that really the original paint? Has it been garaged a lot?

I just got mine a week ago... I suggest getting the manual for it... the Haynes manual is like $17 or $18 new...

EDIT - and if you want to know what's in that ride, you can match up the VIN, axle code, and transmission code with the technical data at http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/camaro79.html

Old 09-22-2007, 03:40 AM

Added:

Like I said before, I am pretty sure not much of this car is original, other than the Frame. A while back, maybe around when I was born, or just a few years later, a teenage kid and his friend decided they were going to steal a car and go for a joyride. Sadly my Camaro was at the Mechanics and the mechanic left it parked outside, with the keys in the ignition. So the kids took it 4 wheeling in a farm field and from what I was told, they destroyed the entire body of the car, but for some reason the frame was okay. All the other damages were repaired as well, not sure what may have been damaged, I just know the body was the most affected.

A new body was re-attached, with very minor errors. If you take a left while going too fast, the tire will rub something within the wheel well, still haven’t pin pointed what the heck it is. So the paint, no it’s not the original paint that was put on 28 years ago, but it is the exact same color, design, decals, all of that has been redone, every year. We still buy the same exact decals it came with when it was first purchased, and it is painted with the exact same colors it was painted with when it was bought. Every few years, all of the paint is stripped off, and they start from the base again.

Hasn’t been garaged a lot, but it has only been driven in the summer. Like I said, she’s got 214,000 miles on the second engine. So I think it’s pretty safe to say, pretty much everything else has been replaced.

I have the original manual, yes that’s right from 1979, still in working order, although I ripped the back page off by accident, still all together though.

The only broken things I can think of, is the Tac is broken,personally I think it hasto do with the wires on the car, because sometimes if you rev it, thetac moves, or if I hit the horn, which the horn sounds really stupidby the way, it moves the tac as well.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:02 AM

I thoughtshe was cool at first but nowshe sounds kinda crappy. You should help her out. The tach only moves when you hit the horn??? hhahahaha and you say the horn sounds stupid.That's so funny.

I don't know, I still think the paint looks good. If there's no rust on the frame & body then maybe it's worth going through it and finding out whats wrong. That manual in the photos, that came with the car, probably lacks the details you'll need. The book I'm talking about (haynes manual or chilton manual, not sure which is better. I have the haynes.) will tell you how to take the entire car apart bolt-by-bolt to inspect & replace everything. That book should help you pinpoint what is mechanically wrong with the vehicle, and what you'll have to do about it. It should explain the tach problem. Also have someone look atthe carwho has experience with older chevys. I guess it depends on what you want to do with the z28, and how much time/money you're willing to spend on that.

z28's generally came with good parts on their drivetrains. You may want to check which parts are still original there by matching up the stamped numbers... the transmission? the rear axle? Match up those numbers at http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/camaro79.html. If it's not the original motor, which motor is it? you can pull off a valve cover and match up the head casting numbers on www.mortec.com. Does it fire and run evenly on all 8? if you can't tell by listening, you probably know someone who can listen to it for you. pull out the spark plugs and check them for wear & tear. if the motor just plain sucks *****, you can rebuild it or replace it. These cars are fun to work on and fun to drive when you get everything set up right. I love mine because its fast & scary.

It's either junk or its not, depending on what you do with it.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:33 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Welcome to the forums. Nice car. Lots of potential there.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:09 AM

It isnt crappy, but shes old. I think the horn making the tac move has to do with the electical system, which I fried last year when the main battery line coming off the battery going to the engine had the rubber rubbed off and it touched the metal axel, thus completing a circuit that shouldnt have been there, and it blew the radio, fixed that though, lol.

Like I said I am only 18 and really know nothing about cars in general, I just know I want to fix this up and get it to have even more power. Its still a V8 350 and sounds like its firing on all 8, no problems when I hit that gas and head the engine roar, not a better sound in the world, American Muscle!

So you say those numbers are on the actual parts on the car? I can take it into Auto's Class this week and throw it up on one of the lifts and have a looky. Something is wrong with the left front tire too, makes noise when I go over bumps, something is lose, lol.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:02 PM

It looks like a fun, worthwhile project to me.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:43 PM
Fancy Sparkle

ORIGINAL: Sassums

i was going to say, "you let that thing redline while it was just sitting there??" it seems like a lot of camaro's have problems with the tach, mine's about 3500rpm off

Old 09-23-2007, 10:25 PM

ORIGINAL: 1990CamaroRS

ORIGINAL: Sassums

i was going to say, "you let that thing redline while it was just sitting there??" it seems like a lot of camaro's have problems with the tach, mine's about 3500rpm off
LOL yes of course! Because the car doesnt run hott enough as it is, I figured it warm the garage up a little bit

Old 09-24-2007, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome!

Nice car, my dad has the same one...no motor or tranny and the same hood (which I personally don't like)