New Members Area New to Camaro Forums? Start here!

Hello. 1992 here (1 owner)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 03:26 PM
Default Hello. 1992 here (1 owner)

I wanted to take the time to intoduce myself.

Hi, my name is Ian, and I'm 31 years old.
In my possession is a black 1992 camaro/RS 5-speed, all stock base model 3.1Liter V6 (upgraded with the Z28 scooped hood on it - to me, that hood just makes the car look soo sweet!). I have been the one and only/original owner of this camaro. It was a leftover dealer floor model having just a little over 1,000 miles on it when I took ownership of it almost 17 years ago back in 1994. I bought it with my own hard earned cash when I was 16 years old. I remember my dad lent me the last $3500 for it, and wouldn't let me drive it until I had him paid off. That was torture! 16 with a new 92 just sitting there in the garage for 7 months... This ones my baby!

The car itself has 92,000 original miles on it. I replaced the clutch 1 year ago. The muffler has been replaced twice (Ohio salt...), and is new again. The brakes were in horrible shape about 4 years back (Ohio salt again I'm sure).. So the entire brake system, every last little washer, spring, brake component was torn out and replaced then.

Other than that + the routine oil changes, tires, spark plugs/wires, coolant, fuel filters, the rear diff fluid replaced (I think thats what the "pumpkin" thing in the back/centerline of the car is-uncle and I did that, and he just kept calling it the pumpkin fluid). Other than that, aLL Original...

When I was 19, I joined the military. 92 camaro sat in grandmas garage for 4 years without being so much as started one time (put something in the fuel though that grampa said would be wise). A new battery brought my beloved camaro back to life just days after my 4 years military service ended. Drove it for years... 2 years ago, I again put it in storage when the clutch blew, and got myself a new vehicle (not the same relationship between the subaru and I, compared to the 92 camaro). so,... clutch since replaced.

Well, 2 days ago I got to looking at how poor of shape my 92 was looking. Cobwebs, flat tires, dead as dead can be battery, etc... I told myself, if after hooking up the new battery, this car starts up like she's proven herself in the past... Yeah, I'll spend some time - and some $$$ to turn her around once again.

Wouldn't you know it? Not even a cough! Just that faithfull camaro turning! You know how good our cars sound when they are running? Sounds that good! Clean sounding! Took it around the block. Run through all gears, check! RPM ranges, check! Power to the ground/acceleration, check! I was expecting problems for some reason, but... So far, my camaro runs very well! Needs some work, but runs well.

This is long. I need to wrap it up now, but wanted to get myself out there to this community. So, hello and thanks for reading. There is allot of good info here, and thanks for that too. This 92 of mine is going to be fun to build up a bit! Right now, I want new suspension, needs tires, somethings got to be done about that cat (it don't look soo hot - its original), air conditioning needs converted/charged, whatever sensor/switch/? that tells the radiator fan to kick on doesn't work (right now the check engine light is always on because I bypassed this problem by removing that temp sensor so that the fan always stays on...got to get that right), window tint, bearings packed or replaced...

Oh yeah, the bigest problem I have right now is the oil pan. It leaks oil. Started like 5 years ago. some jb weld cured it up until 2 years ago. I heard the engine has to be pulled to replace that part? Hope not?

I'll be checking in frequently. Thanks for a great site!

Old 07-28-2009, 09:11 PM
2nd Gear member

good luck with the car and welcome to the forum

Old 07-28-2009, 09:37 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

after all that reading and no picture? whats up with that. lol. welcome to the forum. post some pictures.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forum!!

Old 07-28-2009, 10:00 PM
2nd Gear member

welcome

Old 07-29-2009, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by craby
after all that reading and no picture? whats up with that. lol. welcome to the forum. post some pictures.
I know, I was thinking about that...

I just couldn't do it to the car, or me. I am ashamed of how low I let it sink down.

Wash and wax first. Then, some pictures to show!

I was looking under it, and noticed the swaybar looking thing in the rear is hanging down - obviously disconnected in two spots (one on each side of the car, just forward of the rear wheels)? It looks simple to fix?

Looks like I had uneaven tire wear on the r front tire too.

I was suprised at how minimal the rusting was though. Just one spot under the driver side has anything other than minimal surface rust! Although, the fuel lines look weak/rusty...

Old 08-03-2009, 03:14 PM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Well hello and welcome to the forum.....and we want to see pics no matter what the condition.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:33 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome to the forum.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:24 AM
3rd Gear Member

Welcome Friend!

Old 08-04-2009, 09:14 PM

Lets see...

Name:  CopyofCIMG4483.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  65.9 KB

Name:  CopyofCIMG4479.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  81.7 KB

Name:  CIMG4488.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  57.8 KB

Name:  CIMG4485.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  89.2 KB

Name:  CIMG4457.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  52.6 KB

So far,
I have replaced battery, new spark plugs & wires, oil/filter change, coolant change, A/C converted and charged (its cold too!), new brake fluid & replaced a portion of the brake lines, air filter, new tires, and wash & waxed.

Took the camaro for a 200 mile ride today... All is well!

Still need to replace the cat, get new swaybar bushings/nuts, and it looks like maybe new tie-rods... Oil pan still drips too.

Feels really good to have the camaro back out on the road again! The memories...

Last edited by Lifesaver92; 08-04-2009 at 09:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Hello. 1992 here (1 owner)